Cascade sub for Amarillo?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

secinarot

Reaction score
I am working on a recipe to try and clone a great IPA made by a local brewery here in MA (Mayflower IPA). I got some feedback from the brewmaster so I should be pretty close. The only thing is that I have a bunch of Cascade pellets that I'd like to use. The recipe doesn't include Cascade but I was thinking of substituting it for the Amarillo - see recipe below:

Amount Item Type % or IBU
5 lbs Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 54.05 %
2 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 27.03 %
1 lbs Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 10.81 %
12.0 oz Caramel Malt - 40L (Briess) (40.0 SRM) Grain 8.11 %
0.60 oz Nugget [13.00 %] (60 min) Hops 28.0 IBU
1.00 oz Glacier [5.60 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
1.10 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (30 min) Hops 26.1 IBU
0.60 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (5 min) Hops 4.7 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (0 min) Hops -
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) [StartYeast-Ale

I love Cascades so I don't mind if the flavor profile changes a bit, but I want to stay pretty close to the original. Do you think this substitution will change the flavor significantly?

It should get you pretty close, since there is a ton of other stuff going on in the beer, and at 0 mins it's more of an aroma than flavor addition anyway.

Cascades....yum

Amarillos....yum

IPAs....yum

I'm sorry, what was the question?

Oh yeah...with all that you have going on in that recipe I wouldn't think that it will make too significant of an impact.

To me, it's a bit like substituting oral sex for sex. The experience might be a touch different, but either way you're gonna like it.

To me, it's a bit like substituting oral sex for sex. The experience might be a touch different, but either way you're gonna like it.

An interesting analogy. The first time I've ever seen hops compared to sex! :D I'll have to remember this one! :mug:

Latest posts

Back