08-08-08

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

08-08-08 What to do?

• Brew on 08-08-08

• Drink on 08-08-08

Results are only viewable after voting.
chriso said:
This is exactly what I sent them:

Code:
Recipe: 08-08-08 Russian Imperial Stout
Brewer: Brewpastor
Asst Brewer: HomeBrewTalk.com
Style: Russian Imperial Stout
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.96 gal
Estimated OG: 1.088 SG
Estimated Color: 47.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 88.8 IBU
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
14 lbs        Pale Malt (2 Row) US
1 lbs 4.0 oz  Roasted Barley
1 lbs         Special B Malt
6.0 oz        Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L
6.0 oz        Caramunich Malt
6.0 oz        Chocolate Malt
5.0 oz        Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L

1.50 oz       Warrior [14.80 %]  (60 min)  (2 oz ships w/ pkg)
2.00 oz       Fuggles [4.60 %]  (10 min)
2.00 oz       Fuggles [4.60 %]  (Flame-Out)

1 Pkgs        American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056)          Yeast-Ale

No sub for the light chocolate malt?

FWIW, they are out of Crystal 120 right now too.

brewt00l said:
No sub for the light chocolate malt?

FWIW, they are out of Crystal 120 right now too.

Nah - Brewpastor just adjusted quantities to make the regular chocolate work. Nick didn't say anything about the C120, though - hope it's coming back in soon! :D

Hrm, I checked out AHB and the kit link. Noticed that the extract and mini-mash kits are being sold with LME. :( I'm much more a fan of DME when it comes to extract.

Any reason why LME is being used?

shunoshi said:
Hrm, I checked out AHB and the kit link. Noticed that the extract and mini-mash kits are being sold with LME. :( I'm much more a fan of DME when it comes to extract.

Any reason why LME is being used?

Not sure, really. I bet that if you emailed them (info at austinhomebrew.com) they would sub out DME for it. Don't know if there would be a cost diff. Nick is cool, I'm sure he'd work with ya.

chriso said:
Not sure, really. I bet that if you emailed them (info at austinhomebrew.com) they would sub out DME for it. Don't know if there would be a cost diff. Nick is cool, I'm sure he'd work with ya.

Good call, I'll do just that. :)

p.s. I just noticed in your sig that you have a beer planned that's named after World of Warcraft...I feel like such a nerd for knowing that. :eek:

Hey all -

It just took me like 25 minutes to catch up. I haven't checked this thread for a while.

So I'm attempting to figure out how I want to do this. I'm placing a big order soon from GnG, and was just going to add this to my order. Now that AHS has the kit, that's a heckuva lot easier than ordering individually. I'm pretty sure, though, that I'm ordering a bunch of the same stuff for some upcoming brews.

Plus I just did my first PM a couple of weeks ago, and I'm all about that, but I'm pretty sure I don't have the equip to handle the "mini-mash" kit from AHS. And I like working with DME, not LME.

So here's what I'm tryin' to figure out - (I haven't had a chance to look at the recipe download) - I'm assuming that is the finalized recipe. Has anyone figured out a DME-based steep and/or PM recipe piecemeal? (shunoshi?) If not, I'd be more than happy to (attempt) to put one together and get it posted.

If I'm too late, and its as easy as taking the download and playing with it in BTP, I appologize for wasting all of y'all's time by reading this post and thinking out loud.

Cheers,

IndyPABrewGuy said:
So here's what I'm tryin' to figure out - (I haven't had a chance to look at the recipe download) - I'm assuming that is the finalized recipe. Has anyone figured out a DME-based steep and/or PM recipe piecemeal? (shunoshi?) If not, I'd be more than happy to (attempt) to put one together and get it posted.

Yeah, I want to try and use DME with this myself. Pretty easy to convert this to a PM with DME. How does this look?

Code:
Ingredients:
------------
8 lbs         Light Dry Malt Extract

1 lbs 8.0 oz  Pale Malt (2 Row) US

AHB already formulated a PM using these numbers but with 10 lbs. of LME. Sub that for 8 lbs. of DME and you're golden. :D

shunoshi said:
Yeah, I want to try and use DME with this myself. Pretty easy to convert this to a PM with DME. How does this look?

Code:
Ingredients:
------------
8 lbs         Light Dry Malt Extract

1 lbs 8.0 oz  Pale Malt (2 Row) US

AHB already formulated a PM using these numbers but with 10 lbs. of LME. Sub that for 8 lbs. of DME and you're golden. :D

Rockin'. Is this a partial boil? 3 gallons-ish?

I may drop the PM for this one. I don't think my MLT (aka 2 gallon coleman cooler) can handle 5 lbs of grain. Or maybe it can? We just might find out!!

IndyPABrewGuy said:
Rockin'. Is this a partial boil? 3 gallons-ish?

I may drop the PM for this one. I don't think my MLT (aka 2 gallon coleman cooler) can handle 5 lbs of grain. Or maybe it can? We just might find out!!

Dang, I forgot to rework the hop schedule for a partial boil. I'll have to look into that.

As for the 2 gallon MLT, that's exactly what I have. You can do 5 lbs. of grain with 1.2 quarts of water/lb., but it will be really full. It's doable, I've done it. :D

EDIT - Any PMers out there have access to a decent brew calculator? I've been using the one at Tasty Brew, but it doesn't seem to be that accurate. I'll be doing a 3 gallon boil for this myself. It'd be nice to see a solid hop schedule for that.

shunoshi said:
Dang, I forgot to rework the hop schedule for a partial boil. I'll have to look into that.

As for the 2 gallon MLT, that's exactly what I have. You can do 5 lbs. of grain with 1.2 quarts of water/lb., but it will be really full. It's doable, I've done it. :D

EDIT - Any PMers out there have access to a decent brew calculator? I've been using the one at Tasty Brew, but it doesn't seem to be that accurate. I'll be doing a 3 gallon boil for this myself. It'd be nice to see a solid hop schedule for that.

Dude, I have BTP at home. I can work it out and post it.

Cheers,

Here's what seems to be a partial boil, PM recipe

8-8-8 RIS
13-F Russian Imperial Stout

Size: 5.16 gal
Efficiency: 75.0%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 296.53 per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.088 (1.075 - 1.095)
Terminal Gravity: 1.022 (1.018 - 1.030)
Color: 33.0 (30.0 - 40.0)
Alcohol: 8.77% (8.0% - 12.0%)
Bitterness: 88.83 (50.0 - 90.0)

Ingredients:
8.0 lbs Dry Light
1.0 lbs Pale Ale Malt
1.25 lbs Roasted Barley
1.0 lbs Special B - Caramel malt
6.0 oz Crystal Malt 60°L
6.0 oz Caramunich® (Organic)
6.0 oz Chocolate Malt
5.0 oz Crystal Malt 120°L
1.5 oz Warrior (14.8%) - added during boil, boiled 60.0 min
1.0 oz Fuggle (4.6%) - added during boil, boiled 11.0 min
1.0 oz Fuggle (4.6%) - added during boil, boiled 2.0 min
1.0 ea WYeast 1056 American Ale

Schedule:
Ambient Air: 70.0 °F
Source Water: 60.0 °F
Elevation: 0.0 m

00:03:00 Mash In - Liquor: 6.0 qt; Strike: 166.6 °F; Target: 154.0 °F
00:48:00 Rest - Rest: 45 min; Final: 154.0 °F
00:51:00 First Runnings - Volume: 1.5 gal; Final: 154.0 °F
00:56:00 Sparge - Sparge: 6.0 qt sparge @ 168.0 °F, 1.47 gal collected, 5.0 min; Total Runoff: 6.0 qt

Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.0.29

There's some slight adjustments to hops/grains to hit target OG and IBUs. Any adjustments, please let me know.

Cheers,

EDIT: To do the math, you end up with ~3 gallons to boil. And this was a 90 minute boil with 3 gallons of top off water (to give the odd volume). I can make adjustments as needed.

IndyPABrewGuy said:
Here's what seems to be a partial boil, PM recipe

Well somebody try it and post up what you get. I steeped 4.25# of grain total, used 10.4# of LME and ended with 5 gal of 1.081. At my place 4.25# was a crap load of grain, and I didn't use any 2-row pale.

FWIW I did say my efficiency sucked.

OTOH You might do this and pitch on 1.060 (or whatever) and have happier yeast than I do. You can always rack onto another pound of *ME steeped in hot water if your OG comes in low.

Poindexter said:
Well somebody try it and post up what you get. I steeped 4.25# of grain total, used 10.4# of LME and ended with 5 gal of 1.081. At my place 4.25# was a crap load of grain, and I didn't use any 2-row pale.

FWIW I did say my efficiency sucked.

OTOH You might do this and pitch on 1.060 (or whatever) and have happier yeast than I do. You can always rack onto another pound of *ME steeped in hot water if your OG comes in low.

What yeast did you use? Did you make a huge starter?

You weren't too far off with your OG. Using the LME and skipping the pale malt will lower your OG from an estimated 1.091 to 1.086, using the above recipe.

I don't know what recipe you followed exactly, but FWIW the OG you attained was completely feesable, and IMHO close enough.

If you'd like, I can get you some solid answers if you'd post your recipe/process.

Side note: Don't worry about your efficiency. By skipping the pale malt, you basically brought your fermentables from the grains down to nil.

Cheers,

IndyPABrewGuy said:
If you'd like, I can get you some solid answers if you'd post your recipe/process.

Side note: Don't worry about your efficiency. By skipping the pale malt, you basically brought your fermentables from the grains down to nil.

Cheers,

I am not worried, it was a very tasty wort and it is going to be "beer". Because of pre-existing time constraints I brewed on Thanksgiving weekend, using BrewPastors PM version in post 65 this thread before the AHB kit was available.

I did start a thread in the extract section for the encouragement of other n00bs like me.

4.25# was one metric ****ton of steeping grains at my house, using a handheld strainer as a lauter tun.

I feel like if the 2 row is required to convert some sugars then we are talking about a partial mash instead of a steep and extract recipe. Which is fine. I have done two all grain batches, I need some more gear.

As written BrewPastor's recipe was very cool to me because I could brew it with steep/extract gear and steep/extract technique. And I hit 1.081.

You guys are serious. I steeped in my five gal brew kettle. FWIW I ran my temps like I was doing a PM, just for practice against the AG someday. Direct heat is a nice option I think.

Using a handheld strainer my first runnings looked like used Mobil1 coming out of a high mileage work truck. I sparged until it was the color of new in the bottle dinosaur 10W40.

I ended up with five gallons. I had to do two boils at 2.5Gal each on the gas stove in my kitchen, but it saved screwing around with the hop U.

Scuse, I got my notes out now. I put 4.75 gal of 1.022 into the brew kettle. If I were to make another batch I would sparge out to six gallons knowing I was going to evaporate some during two three gallon boils.

My BTDT thread in extract is here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=45926

Poindexter said:
Using a handheld strainer my first runnings looked like used Mobil1 coming out of a high mileage work truck. I sparged until it was the color of new in the bottle dinosaur 10W40.

Mmm, motor oil. I knew I loved this recipe for some reason :D

Well, I just emailed AHB to see if there is some way we can do a DME substitution for the PM recipe kit. I'll let you all know when I hear something back.

EDIT - Here's the response I got back from Nick. Looks like we can do it for the Mini-Mash kit, but it's going to cost a bit extra is all.

Nick's Email To Me said:
All of our recipes use LME. We will not be able to change the recipe
on our website. However, for this particular recipe, we can make an
exception and substitute the 10 lb. of LME for the 8 lb. of DME when
you order online. There will be a cost difference of about $7.02. To
do this, make the regular order and put in the comments section
"please substitute the 10 lb. of Liquid Malt Extract for 8 lb. of
Extra Light Dried Malt Extract for an extra charge of $7.02."

Again this is something we normally do not do. We will only be able
to do this for the Mini-Mash recipe not the extract recipe.

Now I just have to determine whether DME is really worth $7.02 or should I just go with LME. :eek:

BierMuncher said:
Why is it when I plug the AG recipe into BeerSMith I get IBU's of only 68 VS 88?

Brewpastor PM'd me.....
1.5 ounces of 16 AA Warrior pellets for 60 minutes
2 ounces of 4.75 AA Fuggle pellets for 10 minutes
2 ounces of Fuggle Pellets at flame out

equals 88 IBUs
....when we were hammering out the recipe. In my own calcs at work, I get 76.4 ..... BP and I have different IBUs in our respective software. (I am on BeerSmith) ... My home copy still reads 88.8, but that was using Galena and Willamette instead of Warrior and Fuggles.

If you want, up the Warrior to 1.75 (If you buy the AHB kit, 2.0 is included, as they don't ship partial ounces), and you get 87.4 - again, by my work computer's calculations. My home compy is probably different still.

I used (or the software used) Rager as a formula. The beer will be balanced, not overly sweet, but not really bitter either. Adjust to taste!

Brewpastor said:
I used (or the software used) Rager as a formula. The beer will be balanced, not overly sweet, but not really bitter either. Adjust to taste!
That's cool. I just want to make sure my BSmith program isn't whacked and I've been brewing overly bitter ber all along.

I'll simply adjust quantity of bittering and mid-addition to get to the magic "88.8".

Here's a fun little tidbit for you guys :

8-8-08 is my birthday!

I'm in for brewing on the first day of the year! I will step up to my first ten gallon batch with this too.

But here's my two questions. I've been doing all grain for my last 3 batches. I have a keggle (yet to be named) and by first of the year if I don't have a chiller I will quit brewing out of shame. My MLT is a 54Q Coleman rectangular with a SS braid. Can this MLT handle a high gravity 10G batch? I'm just not sure, and would rather know ahead of time...
Also, how about water additions? I've never brewed an RIS, not sure I've ever even drank one. I'm sure I'll rectify the second situation shortly, but will the addition of any salts or gypsum or anything come into play?

TerapinChef said:
Here's a fun little tidbit for you guys : 8-8-08 is my birthday!

My MLT is a 54Q Coleman rectangular with a SS braid. Can this MLT handle a high gravity 10G batch? I'm just not sure, and would rather know ahead of time...

Happy early birthday! Now we have both a birthday and Biermann's wedding to celebrate!

I have a 48 qt rectangular Igloo, and it's got TONS of extra room for 5g batches, even fairly thick ones. I could probably fit a sub-1.050 10-gal batch in it, but it would be tight.

54q might be sufficient. You might have to scale back your initial water dough-in slightly, but not much. It would really depend on your mash schedule and if you are stepping at all. Step infusions might max out your cooler volume.

(As far as additions, I dont know, sorry.)

Wow...Beersmith just costed out the 10G version of the recipe matching OG and IBU's and I think I might be making the 5G version so my girlfriend doesn't leave me....Although this might be a good reason to buy that 50lb bag of Breiss 2 row I've been eying at my LHBS...and be able to justify it to her...
"Honey, this cut the price of my birthday beer almost in half! And I'll have enough grain left over to make you the Hefe you've been wanting..."

****evil grinning ensues****

Also forgot to ask, how big of a starter are we going to have to pitch? This is my first RIS....and if I need to get my yeast going, like now, I need to know about it beforehand...

TerapinChef said:
Also forgot to ask, how big of a starter are we going to have to pitch? This is my first RIS....and if I need to get my yeast going, like now, I need to know about it beforehand...

Presumedly, a starter is good. A big 1.088 beer is gonna stress out your yeasties if you just dump 'em in. I've been discussing a bit on this here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?p=467534#post467534 too.

Well....I'm not really sure that I"m going to be brewing again before the New Years, so I don't know if a "starter" 5G batch is going to be feasible, but I don't see any problem with getting a nice big starter going. Can you truly overpitch yeast? I was thinking with an OG the size of a small planet like this one, the more yeast you can get into it the better, no?

TerapinChef said:
Well....I'm not really sure that I"m going to be brewing again before the New Years, so I don't know if a "starter" 5G batch is going to be feasible, but I don't see any problem with getting a nice big starter going. Can you truly overpitch yeast? I was thinking with an OG the size of a small planet like this one, the more yeast you can get into it the better, no?

Consensus so far seems to be 2L - 3L starter. I still like the yeast cake idea, because I am a fan of no-fuss. Rack beer, keep covered, rack cooled wort, seal. So easy, so quick! But then there's the whole "learning experience" thing... If I don't make a starter now, then when?

chriso said:
Consensus so far seems to be 2L - 3L starter. I still like the yeast cake idea, because I am a fan of no-fuss. Rack beer, keep covered, rack cooled wort, seal. So easy, so quick! But then there's the whole "learning experience" thing... If I don't make a starter now, then when?

You're making starters way more complicated than need be..... Not to mention it's kinda impractical to brew a prep beer for every single new liquid batch you pitch.

Granted, pitching on a yeast cake works fantastic and you get a full bore fermentation.

just make a liter starter and shake it up for 2 days

step it up to 2 L with lots of shaking again for another 2 days.

put that sucker in the fridge for another 1-2 days, remove on brew day and carefully pour off the liquid while it's still cold, leaving you with a nice big pile of yeast!

I've used yeast cakes, too. they work wonders, but it was more laziness than anything...i didn't feel like washing the yeast :D

Just got my kit from Austin today!

question now is, should i stick it all in my fridge to keep till new years? I was planning to do just that with the hops, and the yeast(which I'm seriously considering splitting before i brew this, my goodness yeast is expensive hadn't really noticed it before).

for now I'm going to stick it all in the fridge, but if it's not going to do anything for the steeping grains, or the LME, I'll take em out :)

Latest posts

Back