Wort Chiller Connections Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hogie222

Reaction score
Hey all,
So i'm very new at the brewing game, just about to start my thrid 5 gallon batch, but i just aquired a wort chiller, however it does not have any of the connections and I dont know it's dimentions. What i do know: the standard tubing that i use for bottling and syphoning fits perfectly(if you could tell me that size that would be very helpful). I need a way to connect it to a standard sink but i have no clue what that would be.
Here are pics: http://hogietumblr.imgur.com/wort_chiller_help#3PpMV
Thanks!

I can't tell by looking at it, but it's either going to be 3/8" or 1/2" copper tubing (these are outer diameter measurements). If you don't know what size your plastic tubing is, just use a ruler or tape measure to determine how wide the copper tubing is.

If you're looking to solder hose fittings on to the ends or use compression fittings, you'll need 1/4" fittings for a 3/8" OD copper coil, or 3/8" fittings for a 1/2" OD copper coil.

Looks like 3/8" to me. Bend some goose-necks on the ends so that they are outside the kettle and and on a down slope so that they wont drip into the kettle. You can simply put some tubing on the ends, with hose clamps. Just be careful when tightening the clamps. Test the chiller a day, or more, ahead of brew day to make sure its leak free.

I used IC's for a while but I've since moved to a plate chiller. SO much better for chilling the wort fast.

Back