New to brewing with questions about kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dean_cox

Reaction score
Hello fellow brewers!

My name is Dean and I have ao far brewed 12 beers using extract and just completed my first all grain brew last week. I am just getting Ito this hobby and it's great. A big thanks to this forum who have answered many questions.

I am now fed up with bottling and have just purchased my first keg system. 2 corney ball lock kegs, 5lb Co2, 2 facets etc. This I now all hooked up in my home made keggerator (nice) I now need some help. I have the temp set to 34F and have 2 kegs full of beer at 25 psi. I am trying to force carbonate. I have shaken the kegs and left them in the fridge for 10 hrs. I just went to pour my first beer and all I got was foam. The lines from the liquid out to the faucet seem to have air in them? So can someone please help me and let me know what I'm doing wrong? Should I leave the kegs for a few more days and keep shaking them every couple of hrs? When I served re beer I reduced the psi to about 9 by pulling the release valve on top the keg and changing the regulator to 9 psi. I was hoping to drink tomorow at a party?

I look forward to your though and help. A step by step for the first tome keggerator would be nice.

Thanks

Dean

Two problems: 25 psi at 34F is too much carbonation, plus, there is a very good chance your lines are too short. Not much you can do right now, unless you can change the lines to 10-12' of 3/16ths before the party.

Gas in the beer lines is due to the lines being warmer than the beer.

And it will actually balance itself out by tomorrow, if you have backed the pressure down to 9PSI, you should actually be good. You may need only 6-7 PSI, to be honest, that's what I usually serve at, but leave it at 9 and you should have good beer by tomorrow as the gas in the beer diffuses into the headspace of the keg.

Oh, and welcome!

Latest posts

Back