Best yeast for bottle conditioning a Bavarian Weizen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

climateboy

Reaction score
Hey, all.

I'm getting ready to bottle my first Bavarian Weizen, and I've read that bottle conditioning is a good idea because it's a) traditional and b) wheat beer yeasts poop out a bit, and may not be sufficient to get the really effervescent carbonation this style needs.

I'd be interested to know folks' experience with this style of beer. If I were to add more yeast to the bottle, what would be a good choice? I have Nottingham, US-05, and Safbrew WB-06.

The beer was fermented in two split batches using Wyeast 3056 and 3068.

Thanks,

CB

Ah, ok, cheers. I wasn't sure how much of that is protein haze. I suppose this is more of an issue with filtered weizens.

I've never had a problem bottle conditioning hefeweizen with just the original yeast...in fact it usually carbonates even quicker than usual due to all that yeast in suspension.

Protein haze is not usually there at room temp, so it should be yeast you're seeing.

both yeasts should be fine. Usually with this style of beer, you bottle within 2 weeks.

What is goig to give you the aditional carbonation is a little more sugar than normal.

I use 1cup dextrose for 5g of Heffeweizen, and 2/3 for any other style.

both yeasts should be fine. Usually with this style of beer, you bottle within 2 weeks.

What is goig to give you the aditional carbonation is a little more sugar than normal.

I use 1cup dextrose for 5g of Heffeweizen, and 2/3 for any other style.

Thanks, Arkador. That's what I had in mind. But should I use another yeast at all?

You should have plenty of yeast in suspension. I typically bottle my heffewizen 10 days after pitching.

Back