How much trub?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeG

Reaction score
Last 2 beers I've gone to bottle were at the 5 gallon mark in the primary. When racking to the bottling bucket I siphon down to the junk/trub and end up with only 4.25gal in the bottling bucket and .75gal left of trub in the primary.

Both of these were 3 weeks (21 days to the day) in primary. Most of what is left is the solid but a little bit is liquid but definitely not the same as the beer I siphoned out.

Is this normal or is there something I'm not quite doing right? I love the beer, just wish I had a few more than the 44 bottles I'm getting :). :ban:

Are you doing kits or using recipes? If you use custom recipes you can adjust to 5.25 or even 5.5 gallon batches to account for loss during transferring or dry hopping. My last few batches were 5.5 and 5.25 gallons and I ended up with a full keg on one and 51 bottles for the other, both were dry hopped.

I usually start with the 5.5G primary which leaves me with right at 5G for bottling or keg's at the end of the process.

One was a kit and one was a recipe I found in a book but both were extracts and the last I did dry hop (in the primary).

Thanks for the feedback, I may add a little more top-off water next time. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back