Hello from England

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benson112

Reaction score
Just thought I would do the introducing thing before I start annoying you all with questions!

I am spending time reading the wiki pages at the minute to get more of an idea of what I need to do to brew my own lager!

I currently only drink one brand of lager and want to broaden my horizons as such. Rather than trying every different brand on the shelves I thought i would have some fun in the process and create my own!

Look forward to speak to you all in the near future...in the mean time...is the wiki page the best place to start for a beginner? Or are there better options?

Thanks in advance

Welcome to the board!

The Wiki pages are a great place to start. You may also want to have a look at http://www.howtobrew.com. There is an entire book online that will get you started and keep you going as you advance your techniques.

Good luck! :mug:

thanks very much for that. I have had a brief look and it seems to be really helpfull. I am going to order everything that i need on payday (tomorrow) and hopefully get started as soon as i have some time.

I have alot more reading up to do before i start though as I would rather get it as close to right first time then rush it and get it all wrong!

Thanks again for your reply

Welcome aboard! :mug: I don't know whereabouts you're based, but in case it's of use, I use www.hopandgrape.co.uk for most of my HB supplies. They're based in Darlington, but their mail order service is very good, and they have a much better range than the home brew shops nearer me.

One other thing - if you're making a lager, you'll need to keep an eye on the temperature you ferment at. If lager yeasts get too hot, they give off some nasty stinky byproducts, so it's something to keep an eye on. An alternative would be to make an ale with lager-ish qualities, as ale yeasts are a bit more tolerant of warmer temperatures. But all of that's covered in the link that jmulligan posted. And if you have any questions, post 'em on here and someone will be along to answer you in a jiffy.

Welcome! Whereabouts in England? It's hard to believe you only drink one type of lager with all of that delicious real ale at your fingertips! I believe you should head to the nearest pub and start doing some "research".;)

Back