Pale Ale malt - Amarillo SMaSH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlyDoctor

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Did my first SMaSH yesterday.

6G at the end of the boil

O.G. 1.051 (actual 1.054 due to excessive boil off)

12# Rahr Pale Ale malt - mash target 152, actual 156-->146 over 60min

Amarrillo (IBU 32 - Rager)

14g 60 mins
14g 30 mins
14g 5 mins
14g 0 mins

Ferment at 65F with WLP 090 - San Diego Super yeast - starter made according to Mr. Malty instructions.

plan to dry hop with 28g for 3 days after it ferments out.

It smelled great going in the boil and into the fermenter - really get the citrus notes. Lets see how it is in a few weeks.

Nice. You might want to add a 1.50 oz. (42 g?) dryhop for 7 days after tasting your sample / gauging your FG.

Thanks for the tip. I was going with 1 oz (makes the whole recipe 3 oz - and I had 6 to start with). Regarding the time, I'd heard that shorter was better - but I've only ever done 7 days myself with good results. Likely it will be 7 days since I do brewing stuff on the weekends!

Shorter, multi-stage dryhops are better -- 3 days with 3/4 oz. pull out & discard -- another 3 days with 3/4 oz. pull out & discard -- another 3 days with 1.5 oz. pull out & discard.

But if you're dryhopping in one stage, 7-10 days is fine. You won't get grassy off-flavors from this factor alone.

Back