Requesting review of my first 7 gallon press and ferment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A friend and I pressed our first 7 gallons this weekend and they are fermenting in our basement, we used several different yeasts, sugar concentrations and even added mango to one gallon. We have them in 1 gallon growlers with airlocks. This morning when I went to check on them, they were all quiet, so I agitated a few bottles and they started blowing off more through the airlocks. Should I agitate them? They did take a 5 minute ride in the car to my house, but have been kept otherwise unshaken since adding the yeast. Its a solid 60 degrees in my basement by feel.

In reading the sticky post, the OP states he ferments a gallon in his kitchen from time to time, I was under the impression that we should let the yeast go for a few weeks, and that it was a very smelly process. If it is not, I could bring them into my kitchen which is 70degrees.
Also it is dark down there, and I get ambient outside light in the kitchen. Thanks!

Dark and 60 is a nice environment for cider. Looks like you have a good spot for fermentation. No need to agitate. Generally the yeasts only stink when they are stressed.

Thanks CvilleKevin! Here's a video update, I had an airlock blow off, and one doesn't seem to be fermenting at all! I'll be making video updates for my co-investor Mike, away at school. So here's the first one. In it, bottle 7 isn't bubbling, Mike's girlfriend is our record keeper, and so I have to wait back to hear from her. Aside from pressing in 5 mango's into the mix (presumably bottle 7, the last), we had a bag of Wyeast which had failed to expand, and so we only used it in one bottle. Otherwise splitting up our dry wine & champagne yeasts into the other 6. I will update when I find out what 7 is, and get a complete list posted about our yeast/ingredient combinations, all the way to the results, when we get there. [ame]http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=4105945921241[/ame] I am under the impression that in 2 weeks of fermenting, we can bottle and get a fizzy, 'beer-like', cider; or wait 3-4 weeks to get harder cider wine.

Edit: Found this great resource for batches that won't ferment: http://www.yobrew.co.uk/stuck.php

Added bread yeast to #7 which wasn't fermenting. Yes, the failed Wyeast & Mango's went into that container, leaving a hefty amount of lees on the bottom, but it's bubbling away now thanks to Hodgson Mill 'Active Dry Yeast'. I just got our logs, and I am going to post those below the video. Also I ordered a hydrometer which will be in my mailbox when I get back from vacation on the 22nd, and found a friend I can contact by phone for brewing help, he says I am going to smack my head and wonder why I ever stressed about it at all in 2 weeks, because brewing is so easy a caveman can do it. Hope this caveman can share his fire though!

[ame]http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=4118790802355[/ame]

All bottles pressed 10-6-12, yeast added 10-7-12 (except bottle 7, re-yeasted 10-11-12)
Bottle/Gallon--Additives--Yeast Abbreviations for Red Star Brand Yeast, PS:pasteur Champagne,CDB:Cote des Blanc (wine)
  1. N/A (Control) -- RS:pS
  2. Pumpkin Spice (2 tsp) -- RS:pS
  3. Sugar (2 Scoops) -- RS:pS
  4. N/A (Control) -- RS:pS
  5. N/A (Control) -- RS:CDB
  6. Molasses (1/2 cup) -- RS:CDB
  7. Mango (two) -- Wyeast:1010 American(DOA), Hodson Mill, Active Dry Bread Yeast (10-11)
  8. N/A (Control) -- Enjoyed with breakfast! :mug:

Seconded. I can all but guarantee you can't trust the two week rule you mentioned. Since you don't have a hydrometer yet, at least taste and cold crash the ones that are drying out. By the 22nd they will all likely be some form of wine more than cider.

If you want to bottle carb and keep the taste that you have now, your best bet is to read the sticky on bottle pasteurization.
If some of these batches taste like they are almost done, then you might want to rack them to a clean jug and then put in the fridge until you get back from vacation
that way they wont dry out on you completely while you are gone. since these are champange and wine yeasts the cold will not stop them but they will slow way down in the fridge

Back