Chinook combos

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darknova306

Reaction score
So I'm new to Chinook hops and was wondering: what combinations with Chinook are people fans of (in an IIPA, for argument sake)?

I like chinook all alone (like in Arrogant Bastard) or in combination with other hops. I often use it for bittering in American IPAs, but have used it also for flavoring in some. It's a good dryhop in combination with a citrusy hop variety, too. It can come off as harsh, so it's not used as often for flavor and aroma as a different variety like cascades or centennial.

I just made an APA with chinook for FWH, 15, 1 and i'm planing on dryhoping with .5 oz of chinook and cascade. IBU ended up right around 50. the first hydro sample taste freaking good. It is the first time i used them, i got a pound sitting in the freezer.

alot of ipas, iipas bitter with them and then use them in the dry hop but use other hops for the late kettle additions. For example, Blind Pig, I believe ranger from NB does this and tons of others.

I'm curious about this too. I'm toying with a Amarillo-Simcoe-Chinook IPA for my next batch. I haven't used Chinook before and the harshness comments make me tentative about the hop schedule.

I agree with Yopper, I have done a ton of Ipa's lately, I use them to bitter, and then combo them with cent, and cascade. If you dry hop with them and cas, they seem to come across with a citrus taste, which I love....great hop in my mind

Chinook's on my list for the near future - summer will demand hop forward pale beers. But I've heard they're harsh for bittering due to high cohumulone. Has that been anybody's experience?

Ok so I have played around a bit with chinook hops. I find that it compliments well with Amarillo. It can be a little too much when used for flavor and aroma. But I get a little spice from it when overused. When I use just a touch of it with amarillo, they seem to blend to a spicy, grapefruity taste. I would use it for bittering purposes only but if you want to toy with flavor/aroma additions I would use a 2:1 or a 3:1 Amarillo/Centennial to Chinook.

I've been thinking about making an APA soon as a large starter for my American barleywine, and wanted to play around with the Chinook in my freezer. As I love Amarillo to begin with, the the suggestion of Amarillo/Chinook combo is appealing.

I think I'll be doing Amarillo-Simcoe-Chinook for my next IPA. Maybe an ounce of each for flavor/aroma. Would that be a manageable amount of Chinook?

I think I'll be doing Amarillo-Simcoe-Chinook for my next IPA. Maybe an ounce of each for flavor/aroma. Would that be a manageable amount of Chinook?

I would use a 0.5 ounce Chinook for flavor and 0.5 oz. Chinook @ 0 mins. Or just use the chinook for bittering. I would use an oz. of Amarillo for flavoring and the other oz of Simcoe for aroma.. I just find that when using chinook, too much can almost make the beer taste disproportionate/unbalanced. And too much Chinook will definitely overpower the other hops when used in excess.

Chinook+Perle is very interesting and rather smooth when used in flavor/aroma additions. Perle needs more quantity to outweight the chinook, so I usually mix it 2:1 vs. Chinook in those additions. I never bitter with Perle.

Chinook+Simcoe is great as well. I bet adding Amarillo to this combo would be superb.

Chinook and Amarillo is a good combo. I've used it in my Pale Ale before and it came out very tasty, a bit less grapefruity than cascades. I use it like this:

Bittering: Chinook (FWH sometimes)
Flavor/Aroma: Amarillo
Dry Hop: Equal parts Amarillo/Chinook

Thanks ya'll - I see Chinook-Amarillo-Simcoe on the horizon now for sure. I will make sure to limit my total Chinook addition to around 1 oz.

Thanks ya'll - I see Chinook-Amarillo-Simcoe on the horizon now for sure. I will make sure to limit my total Chinook addition to around 1 oz.

Eh to each there own. I am drinking on an IPA right now that used 4 oz of Chinook and 4 oz of Cascade and it is delicious. It's like this:
60 -2 oz Chinook
30- 1oz Chinook
10- 1.5 oz Cascade
0- 1.5oz Cascade
DH 1 oz each.

Very similar to a Sierra Nevada taste- think Celebration but I used MO and Amber Malt in there to offset the high IBU's

Got a recipe for an IPA I hope to be brewing come the middle of next month that's Chinook heavy. I love that hop.

1 oz Chinook @ 60 min
1 oz Chinook @ 45 min
1 oz Chinook @ 40 min
1 oz Centennial @ 5 min
1 oz Simcoe Dry-Hop

Made a pale ale last night with Chinook:

5.5 gallons

8.5 lbs US 2-row
1.0 lbs Munich
0.5 lbs Crystal 60L

3/4 oz Chinook @ 60 (11.5% AA)
1/2 oz Amarillo @ 30 (7.5% AA)
1/2 oz Chinook @ 10
1/2 oz Amarillo @ 0
May dry hop it, not sure.

OG: 1.050

Made a pale ale last night with Chinook:

5.5 gallons

8.5 lbs US 2-row
1.0 lbs Munich
0.5 lbs Crystal 60L

3/4 oz Chinook @ 60 (11.5% AA)
1/2 oz Amarillo @ 30 (7.5% AA)
1/2 oz Chinook @ 10
1/2 oz Amarillo @ 0
May dry hop it, not sure.

OG: 1.050

That beer will be good. I did the same thing to a batch. I used more additions with only used 2 oz Total of hops. It turned out to be great. I wish I had dry hopped mine. (Something to think about)

For me, Chinook goes well with any of the "C" hops..Colombus, Chinook, Centennial, Cascade.

I also think they pair well with a citrusy type hop like Amarillo.

I've been playing around with a single hop Pale Ale recipe and the one I have on tap right now is all Chinook. I freakin' love it!! I have 1lb each of whole leaf Chinook and Amarillo and 1lb each of pellet Centennial and Cascade in the freezer. I'm going to do a nice IPA using all four of those.

My jolly roger clone is all Chinook and cascade.

Chinook bittering
chinook/cascade late addition
chinook/cascade knockout
chinook/cascade dryhop

may be the best beer I have done.

This recipe is one of our staple IPAs - it is phenominal...scaled down to 6gal

C4 (Special Delivery)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
19.41º P
8.64% ABV
111 IBU
370 cal/pint
11.1 SRM
2 Row (MO)
Cara-Pils
Crystal 60
Special B
Chinook [11.00 %]
Centennial [8.00 %]
Columbus [14.00 %]
Cascade [5.40 %]

Amount Item Type % or IBU
16 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 91.67 %
1 lbs Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 5.56 %
4.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 1.39 %
4.0 oz Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 1.39 %
1.00 oz Chinook [11.00 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Cascade [5.40 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Centennial [8.00 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
0.50 oz Chinook [11.00 %] (60 min) Hops 15.1 IBU
0.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (60 min) Hops 19.3 IBU
0.50 oz Centennial [8.00 %] (30 min) Hops 8.5 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.40 %] (30 min) Hops 5.7 IBU
0.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (30 min) Hops 14.8 IBU
0.50 oz Chinook [11.00 %] (30 min) Hops 11.6 IBU
0.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (15 min) Hops 9.6 IBU
0.50 oz Centennial [8.00 %] (15 min) Hops 5.5 IBU
0.50 oz Chinook [11.00 %] (15 min) Hops 7.5 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.40 %] (15 min) Hops 3.7 IBU
0.50 oz Centennial [8.00 %] (5 min) Hops 2.2 IBU
0.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (5 min) Hops 3.8 IBU
0.50 oz Chinook [11.00 %] (5 min) Hops 3.0 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.40 %] (5 min) Hops 1.5 IBU

For me, Chinook goes well with any of the "C" hops..Colombus, Chinook, Centennial, Cascade.

I also think they pair well with a citrusy type hop like Amarillo.

I'd also like some feedback on some Chinooks. I have a house pale ale that is Simcoe+Amarillo that has a real nice fruity hop profile. The last IPA I made I used Centennial+Cascade+Summit and it was too similar to my pale ale. I'm looking to mix it up a little. Here is the hop schedule I was thinking of:

60 - .5 oz Summit
20 - 1 oz Centennial
10 - .5 oz each Summit, Centennial, Chinook
0 - .5 oz each Summit, Centennial, Chinook
DH - 1.5 oz each Summit, Chinook

Thoughts?

Back