Lacto infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnyc

Reaction score
Not worried about it, already kegged and carbed. Tastes fine but I'm just curious. This was floating on top and as soon as I saw it I racked from underneath it to a keg and chilled it promptly.

infection%20%28Large%29.jpg

Maybe I'm missing something, but it just looks like trub to me. I don't see any lacto.

What was your gravity when you racked to the keg?

EDIT - I do see something whiteish on the carboy but its too difficult to tell if its lacto from this picture.
If you're sure it is, drink that beer fast because it could come back in the keg. I've had it happen.

That film on the walls of the fermenter was sitting on top of the beer in the secondary about a week after racking. There were a couple greasy bubbles on top but they popped as I moved it and racked it.

That film on the walls of the fermenter was sitting on top of the beer in the secondary about a week after racking. There were a couple greasy bubbles on top but they popped as I moved it and racked it.

That sounds like it might be lacto then. White film. I'd drink that keg quickly because the beer is likely to get worse. My amber ale was infected and I racked under the lacto. It was good when I kegged it but about halfway through the keg it became undrinkable.

That stinks, guess that'll be the beer I push for friends in the near future.

Yeah, I was bummed. With that said, just because I had that problem doesn't mean you will. It was strange - there was a VERY noticable increase in off-flavors but nothing visable growing in the keg. Fortunately, I don't have much experience with infections. This was my first one.

I'd also suggest bleaching all of your equiment to prevent an infection from happening again. Also check all plastic equipment for scratches. If its scratched, replace them since bugs can hide out in there.

Back