Non-Glass solution for Bottled beer...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dunnright00

Reaction score
So I'm going to a football game this week and the beer there is so dang expensive!! Plus it's always BMC. Sometimes they have Karl Strauss, Sam Adams or some other "Premium" beer but it's even more $$$. My plan was to bring a few bottles of Homebrew along with a couple of cups in a disposable cooler for the parking lot before the game. We're taking the trolley, so I don't have a car to stash it in.

Problem is, new rule this year
GLASS BOTTLES AND CONTAINERS ARE NOT ALLOWED IN THE STADIUM PARKING LOT.

Any ideas? I suppose I could go cowboy and just pour into my cups behind the porta-loo or something, but I'd rather keep it legit. I'd hate to risk something stupid and get kicked out before the game. You think I could pour them into a couple of 2 liter bottles before I get there and just seal it up? We're only talking an hour or so.

I've got a couple of ideas, but I was curious what this resourceful crew can come up with.
:mug:

A lot of people bottle in regular soda PET bottles. Just wash them well, sanitize as normal, and bottle like you would any other beer. Make sure the cap gets screwed on really tight.

Yeah, I like the soda bottle option. I just need to buy some soda now. >:p

I'm not a soda drinker.

Just use water bottles or soda bottles. I just pop the glass bottle, funnel it into the plastic bottle, screw the cap on and I'm good to go. As long as you aren't using this as long term storage it works satisfactory. Just for a few hours this works fine.

Have a friend drink some BMC from plastic PET bottles and use those. You don't often see beer in PET bottles in the store, you gotta look hard for them.

Added bonus, the other fans would see you using BMC bottles and think you were just like them! :)

Just use water bottles or soda bottles. I just pop the glass bottle, funnel it into the plastic bottle, screw the cap on and I'm good to go. As long as you aren't using this as long term storage it works satisfactory. Just for a few hours this works fine.

Yeah I didn't think about water bottles. I got plenty of those lying around.

I found 16oz Amber PET bottles at my LHBS, last summer. I picked up a case (24) for about $22. Bought them specifically for taking to sporting events, the beach, etc. where having glass bottles is either not allowed or just a PITA.

Also available from NorthernBrewer.com

Has anyone used one of those Aluminum water bottles that are available, they seem to seal well and keep stuff cold...

I have a couple of these but they're a pain to clean if you use it for anything other than water.

I guess a good soak and a bottle washer would work though.

I have used 24 oz. Mt. Dew bottles. Used the same bottles and original caps for 3-4 batches now. Works great and no leaks. Just tighten the caps as tight as you can by hand. To clean for the first use I put a little Oxyclean in each bottle and let them set for a couple of hours...rinse the crap out of them and sanitize with starsan, good to go. Cool thing is , I scored a big trash bag full of them at work one day from a young woman who was taking them to the trash compactor. Hecki am drinking a black ale I made a couple months ago out of one of them right now. No plastic or other off taste. if you do go plastic, use something that had a carbonated beverage in it as other containers won't be strong enough to stand the pressure from carbonation. Cheers!

If those BL Lime 16 oz aluminum cans are re-capable, then go to the local beverage center and see if they have any that were returned in the back room. Ask them to buy a handful at the .05 cent deposit and cap 'em up.

Back