Noob, sort of

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jayfro21

Reaction score
So, I got into brewing during undergraduate college, and now want to get back into it after a 2-3 year hiatus. I am now currently in medical school, so time is somewhat limited, but I still want a fun and exciting hobby that can produce a wonderful product! My brews thus far have been (from what I can remember): a regular run-of-the-mill light beer, a honey wheat ale, a raspberry wheat ale, and a hard apple cider. Unfortunately, because I was lazy, I gave ALL my equipment to a friend, and just don't feel right asking for it back. That being said, here is my list of essentials, please let me know if I need more and if I can leave something off:

6.5 gallon bucket with spigot, airlock, etc
Either 6.5 gallon secondary OR 5 gal carboy (can somebody remind me why one is better than the other?)
Racking and bottling equipment (prob go with bare essentials, like no bottling thingy if I have a spigot on the bucket)
Hydrometer (although I dont really think this is necessary until I start building my own recipes)
Thermometer (bucket and wort)
Bottles, etc

And last but not least, a large boiling apparatus...this is my actually most important question...what is the smallest amount of liguid I can get away with boiling and still get a great beer. I think I have a 2-3 gallon stainless steel pot, and don't really want to shell out another 40-50 dollars for a 16-20 quart one.

Thanks in advance for your helpfulness and patience with the long post! Everybody keep brewing!

Jason

Crazyness! MSIII here!

Why don't you just go with a brew kit like this

All of the extract kits I've done thus far have called for a 2 gallon boil... however just remember that it's 2 gallons of water PLUS several lbs of extract PLUS room for soaking grains. I'd say even with a 3 gallon pot you would be cutting it really close to boil 2 gallons.

Hey, yeah MSII here...I am probably going to end up going with something exactly like that, just not enthused about spending 100 dollars for stuff I already had! Oh well, and what about glass vs plastic secondary fermentor, do you have any insight?

jason

glass vs plastic

Subject of many a debate. Short version: people who use plastic are fools that let oxygen/bugs/contamination get into their beer, people who use glass are fools that risk breakage and loss of beer so they can watch the yeast reproduce.

Reality, both work just fine.

The meads and wine's I've got going live in glass carboys, beer I've got clearing lives in better bottles. Never had a problem with any of them. I tend to use better bottles when I can because I don't want to run the risk of a glass one shattering in my hands. I've paid enough for them and would like to make some money back :D

Back