My homemade mash tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bagpiperjosh

Reaction score
i made this with the help of much searching on these forums. im curious to see how the pex works out. it was all really easy to do. though i never did find the correct size SS washer, i believe i went with a 3/4 inch. but i tested it and its leak free
I made the manifold with a combo of pex crimps and ss hose clamps so i can take it apart to clean it still. none of this build was hard.

P1050211.jpg

P1050212.jpg

P1050213.jpg

I don't think either of those plastics are rated for mash temps. I don't mean to be a downer, but that looks like trouble to me.

Yes, that looks to be correct. If they are vinyl I would ditch them and get high temp tubing from Rebel Brewer or Northern Brewer. It's like $1.25/foot unless you want silicon.

I feel like I am crapping on your parade - the manifold looks real nice - but its not rated for such high temps and might leach crap into your brew. go copper or high temp tubing if you want to make one - or buy a ss one

I feel like I am crapping on your parade - the manifold looks real nice - but its not rated for such high temps and might leach crap into your brew. go copper or high temp tubing if you want to make one - or buy a ss one

its rated for 200 degrees F. its used in all new home construction for drinking water, i'd sure hope its safe to drink from

When is drinking water 200F out of the faucet? Even if the red stuff is good, the clear connections are vinyl and are NOT heat safe.

When is drinking water 200F out of the faucet? Even if the red stuff is good, the clear connections are vinyl and are NOT heat safe.

i asked the guy at ACE if it would be safe for hot temps and that's what he gave me. if it isn't, what should i use?

He probably assumed less than 140F coming out of your hot water heater. I'd use a CPVC, or copper manifold. The alternative would be a SS braid. The clear vinyl hose is bad juju for sure.

its rated for 200 degrees F. its used in all new home construction for drinking water, i'd sure hope its safe to drink from

ThermaPEX (LKPEX) is supposed to be rated to be safe up to 200 degrees - if that is what you have then I stand corrected. most of the pex I have seen installed in homes has a rating closer to 150

I apologize for putting out insufficient info.

as always, if you are satisfied with your setup that is all that matters.

He probably assumed less than 140F coming out of your hot water heater. I'd use a CPVC, or copper manifold. The alternative would be a SS braid. The clear vinyl hose is bad juju for sure.

well i just need something to replace the clear hose part. i'm sticking with the pex for the rest of it. but if i go to lowes or Home depot i need to know what to look for, because if i ask it will be like talking to the wall

I'm no plumber, but I did use pex in my hot water heating system and my drinking water lines during my remodel. As others have said, it is rated 200 degrees at 80 psi. With lower pressures comes the ability to handle higher heat. I think...

Plus this is for a mash tun so the temps will not get close to 200 F

I say rock on, you just gave me a great idea for my left over pex, brass 90 degree, and t fittings.

Have you used this yet?

another issue with PEX tubing is that it becomes brittle if exposed to light over any period of time. it has to be stored in UV protected areas - inside/ in the dark.

this thing might get brittle over time. another issue with using this might be acidic wort leaching - I could be wrong but its an unknown in the design and implementation for this tubing.

Dude, pex is totally fine for 200 and then some! And I use vinyl for every brew, not a single off flavor or anything. It sure gets limber, but it doesn't affect my brewing. Others use it too. If its what you have and can get for now, then go for it. Apparently few here have actually used or been exposed to modern day plumbing to know much about pex pipe. It's good stuff. Not a thing wrong with it and I think you were quite innovative to come up with that design. Looks great. Brew something and ignore the pessimistic peasants.

well i just need something to replace the clear hose part. i'm sticking with the pex for the rest of it. but if i go to lowes or Home depot i need to know what to look for, because if i ask it will be like talking to the wall

Haha! No sweat man. Keep us posted on how it goes. I had no clue that stuff was rated so high. Definitely replace the clear bits ( on the outside of the tun too ). Silicone is the nicest IMO.

I use vinyl for every brew, not a single off flavor or anything. It sure gets limber, but it doesn't affect my brewing. Others use it too. If its what you have and can get for now, then go for it. Apparently few here have actually used or been exposed to modern day plumbing to know much about pex pipe. It's good stuff. Not a thing wrong with it and I think you were quite innovative to come up with that design. Looks great. Brew something and ignore the pessimistic peasants.

You do realize toxins don't always have flavors right? I don't like drinking plastic, and I'm pretty sure my friends don't either. Vinyl is not rated for high temperatures.

Food for thought.

tasq said:
You do realize toxins don't always have flavors right? I don't like drinking plastic, and I'm pretty sure my friends don't either.

Food for thought.

I suppose you have a source for this? Or just a gut feeling maybe?

my source

says its rated for 175, which i won't be exceeding with mashing.

and it says Non-toxic FDA listed materials.

with those specs, i see no reason to not use vinyl. sure, it smells rough when you first get it, but boil it and use it. seems fine. though it kinks easily, its still a quarter of the price of silicon tubing. which i know is great stuff, but i don't have it..

i like that KROC club by the way. nice site..and cool name

tifi (there, i fixed it)... didn't even have to cut the pex, i had a small piece the exact size i needed.

P1050214.jpg

my source

with those specs, i see no reason to not use vinyl. sure, it smells rough when you first get it, but boil it and use it. seems fine. though it kinks easily, its still a quarter of the price of silicon tubing. which i know is great stuff, but i don't have it..

ill admit im alot less worried about using vinyl as the tubing for draining different vessels. as it only passes by it quickly and not soaking it it for an hour

I use pex for my sparge arm, 200 degrees +....you will be fine, try the first batch. if shes tastes like plastic ya know why, cant see that ya will though...Rock on, cheers!!!

my source

Thanks for the information pinback! I shall curb my paranoia. :mug:

Have you mashed with this yet? What size holes did you drill/cut in the pex? Was it significantly cheaper than copper?

Back