natural carbonation in conicals

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

contagent93

Reaction score
does anyone who uses conicals naturally carbonate im not referring to using priming sugar but capping towards the end of the fermenting process to allow the beer to carbonate itself with its own co2

i was wondering if its possible i know the fermenator is sealed and can hold pressure but couldnt find any info on if it would hole enough to allow for natural carbonation

dont think there are any conicals that will allow that much pressure to build up... some people have been doing it in sanke kegs though (including myself)

I have a Blichmann and it is one of the strongest made because it has a v-groove clamp and a rubber seal like a pool filter has. They say that it can not hold carbonizing pressures but can have enough applied to move the beer to the serving kegs which are designed to hold this much pressure. Other brands will start to leak around the seal or blow the safety valve before enough pressure (say 10 psi) could be applied. If you think about it that seal at the center has to withstand enormous pressure at 10 psi. I have the 27 gallon model at 24 inches diameter.

Diameter x Diameter x .7854 = sq in x 10 psi =

or

24 x 24 x .7854 = 452.390 sq in x 10 psi = 4523.90 lbs trying to blow the seal apart.

That is hard to believe but true.

dont think there are any conicals that will allow that much pressure to build up... some people have been doing it in sanke kegs though (including myself)

hmm so would a corny be ably to work for this so if im getting you right you fill up sum kegs like you would for a secondary but into a keg and seal it to let it carb itself ?

Yes but you need a pressure relief for anything over the intended set pressure for safety. These are called spunding valves. I set mine for 10 psi at 36 F.

awsome yea i figured as much wouldnt want overly carbed beer this all was brought on by a visit to a micro brewery by my parents the brew master was trained in munich and was talking about loss of flavor and aroma when force carbing with industrial co2 got me thinking

I have tried it with corn sugar and wort and force carbed and all being equal in pressure I can not tell the difference. CO2 is CO2 no matter how you make it. If you over carb you get a can like taste (metal). If you carb long enough to get it into solution at the right pressure it is all the same as using corn sugar or wort sugar to carbonate.

Back