Question bout dry hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewMonkster

Reaction score
I put my hops into a carboy, then I took the beer from fermenter & put into carboy. Should it look like this:

image-1153440496.jpg

Good!!! I thought I did something wrong!!! Lol!!! It doesn't look like 5 gallons to me though. Did the hops suck up the beer? How long should I dry hop? Did it on Monday.

I usually dry hop 7 days. And yes,they do soak up some beer. If you'd have put them in a muslin grain sack,you could've squeezed them by pulling the sack out.

unionrdr said:
I usually dry hop 7 days. And yes,they do soak up some beer. If you'd have put them in a muslin grain sack,you could've squeezed them by pulling the sack out.

Thanks for the help!!! I'll use a muslin sack next time!!!

Well,I us a fine mesh strainer pouring the chilled wort into the fermenter. Then top off with cold water to the 5 gallon mark,or a hair above. This gets out a lot of the stuff that takes up liquid volume by the time you rack to the bottling bucket.

I plan my brewing process to include an estimate of the quantity that will be absorbed by the whole leaf hops. (Pellet hops do not absorb as much but have other disadvantages). There fore the amount of water and grain I use and the amount that goes into the boil kettle and the amount that goes into the fermenter is planned out so that I get 5 gallons when all is said and done. Being an all grain brewer I have control over the process and since I designed and built my own equipment based on the process I use. Also I have measured and taken notes over two years of tweaking the equipment and process.

There is a thread : https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/leaf-hops-what-do-they-absorb-101226/ that does a little analysis of hop absorption rates.

Edit that is not the right thread ... still looking for it:
Experience and research is about the best advice I can offer...

Good Luck

EDIT: here is the correct link: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/leaf-hop-absorption-measured-241469/

One more question, how do I go about getting the 5 gallons?

If your bucket (or whatever you primary in) is big enough, plan on going into primary with an extra quarter or half-gallon, so you can rack a full five gallons of clear beer to secondary and still leave the yeast/trub/etc behind.

That, or just don't sweat it -- unless you're multiple gallons short, your beer will have more than enough dissolved CO2 to displace all the normal air left in the headspace of the carboy, and four and a half gallons is still a ton of beer.

I still get 5 gallons without the extra amount with judicious straining & using 2C priming solution. I also keep hydrometer tests to a minimum. With only about 3/8" of compressed trub/yeast it's fairly easy to get 48-52 bottles. So minimize gunk going into primary,2C priming solution,minimal hydrometer test,& time.:mug:

Latest posts

Back