Adding Raspberry Extract too early a problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidrussell

Reaction score
Hey all,

So I'm brewing a batch of raspberry hefeweizen (the kit from Northern Brewer), and I mistakenly added our raspberry extract to the boil as I was adding the wheat extract. The recipe actually called for adding the raspberry extract much later in the process, when we are going to siphon our fermented beer into the bottling bucket.

I'm new to homebrewing, and I'm not sure how this will affect the outcome of our beer. Does anyone have any idea how this will affect my brew?

Thanks so much!

You probably boiled off a little of the flavor, but I wouldn't worry. Raspberry extract is fairly potent stuff. I'm not a huge fan of the extract flavorings because most of them give poor flavors, but raspberry isn't a bad one.

You'll be fine. Taste it after a week in the fermentor and see what you think.

If you added the full 2 oz bottle during the boil, you more than likely lucked out! Just had a buddy finish a watermelon wheat....per instructions. I sampled the wheat prior to adding the flavoring, it turned out to be a good wheat beer...until he added the entire 2 oz's of flavor...totally OVERPOWERED everything the beer was about. Now it has one of my kegs tied up waiting for it to mellow... fingers not crossed on this one....I don't think it has a prayer. Worst case...@ least you'll still have a drinkable hefe.

Back