which yeast for this recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thebamaking

Reaction score
here is the recipe i'm about to try...

Dry-Hopped Red Ale

Partial Mash

1 lb. crystal 20L
2 lb. crystal 40L
1 lb. crystal 60L
1 lb. crystal 90L
1 lb. 2-row
3 lb. extra pale lme
1 lb. munich lme

1 oz chinook 60 min
1 oz centennial 0 min

2 oz centennial dry hop

i sort of formulated this recipe on my own trying to improve a recent clone i did of Rogue's St. Rogue Red Ale. I wanted more of a sweet malty background so i added more crystal. Anything i should change in this recipe (is anything rediculous?) Also, my main question is which yeast would yall recommend using for this, white labs california ale v 051 or Wyeast american ale 2 1272. What will the differences in these two be on this particular recipe as far as how it will affect the taste? Thank you very much for any replies.

You could probably be fine with a dry Safale 05,
If liquid, then White Labs WLP001, both are very versatile American Ale yeast.

But really the sky is the limit, there are so many other varieities especially with liquid. With a Red Ale you could also use an English ale strain. I used Safale 04 with a red ale and it was great, but I had a different grain and hop mix as you have.

Wait and see if any HBT veterans have a better suggestion than me. :cross:

5 pounds of crystal, and 4 pounds of extract? That's not going to work. You want about a pound of crystal total, maybe a pound and a half for a very sweet beer, in a 5 gallon batch.

5 lbs is way too much crystal malt. You don't get any fermentables out of crystal so unless you want your final gravity around 1.025 or 1.030 I would back off quite a bit. I personally would take out 3.5 lbs of the crystal (maybe keep 1 lb of crystal 60 and .5 lb crystal 90), and use 3.5lbs more of 2-row or Maris Otter. Your beer will still be very malty. Pitch 2 packets of Safale-05.. You won't be dissapointed.

Back