Buy glass bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrosBrew

Reaction score
Hello,

I just starting out in this hobby and am in need of beer bottles actually. Was wondering if there was any local places that I could get the bottles instead of buying them online. I'm in Sioux Falls, SD so it's a pretty big town (175,000) with a lot of major retailers but unfortunately no beer brewing place that I know of.

Do you have a local watering hole (local bar)? Ask them to save any pry offs for you. You should have a couple of cases in no time. Just wash them real good.

edit: Dang too slow, Edster beat me to it.

The package stores have hundreds of them. And they are already filled with beer.

I know, smart-ass response but this is the usual place to get them. Use it as an opportunity to "try-out" beers that you have never had and before you know it you'll have more bottles than you can store and a solid idea of which styles you prefer to brew.

Aside from that, try looking up hombrew supplies. They usually have cases of new longneck browns or fliptops for anywhere from $10 to $30.

I can only find one place in SD; http://www.heartofthevine.com/

I got my bottles by drinking...a lot! Actually, between my first brew day and the time it was ready to bottle (3 weeks later), I had 2 cases of beer. In that time, I had a poker night and a BBQ...which helped out a ton! Throw a BBQ, invite friends, and tell them to bring a sixer or 12er of pry-offs...and the food is free!

Is there really any more "cheap" beers that have pry offs anymore? Sam adams I know does, but a lot of companies are going to twist offs. I like the bar idea though. Might have to hit that idea up.

Also thanx for the heads up on heart of the vine. I had no idea they were even in Sioux Falls. That will be great.

I get mine from a recycling center. They don't care if I pick through it. I oxyclean the labels off, rinse and then I have bottles for free minus a little labor.

Is there really any more "cheap" beers that have pry offs anymore? Sam adams I know does, but a lot of companies are going to twist offs. I like the bar idea though. Might have to hit that idea up.

New Belgian does, if they are distributed in your area. There are lots of beers in pry off bottles.

I've been able to get old pop-top budweiser bottles from the local bottling/distributor. they charged double the deposit (10 centsa bottle), but they work!

you can still cap using twistoffs. they work in just the same way

I've been able to get old pop-top budweiser bottles from the local bottling/distributor. they charged double the deposit (10 centsa bottle), but they work!

malkore, you beat me to it. In addition to the bottles that i save when i actually pay for beer, I go to the local liquor store/redemption center. The most itll cost you is 10c a bottle, and you just wash off the old labels, no biggie, right?

I've heard of people going to the recycling places and asking there too.

Living in a college town it's not too hard to get bottles though.

Back