Infection issues with my Ventmatics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ebeer

Reaction score
OK, I've hit the wall and am about ready to throw my SS Ventmatic faucets in the trash and go back my old standard el cheapo faucets. Here's scoop:

I recently upgraded my two faucet tower to a three faucet tower and replaced the old faucets with new Ventmatic (Shirron) forward sealing faucets. Now if I let the kegs sit for two days without drinking, the first half pint I pour is sour. By sour I mean foul smelling, and so sour even the slightest sip screams infection. BUT, if I pour about half a pint out, all sourness is gone and the beer if perfect. I have completely taken apart every part of the kegerator assembly that can be taken apart. All faucet parts, beer lines, ball locks, etc have been boiled in PBW, rinsed with hot water, and sanitized with Starsan. I've done this multiple times, I know the lines are clean. And nothing is wrong in the kegs, I've taken the kegs and moved them to another refrigerator with picnic taps (a perfect, infection free pour every time).

So is there something I'm missing with the forward seals? It seems something is getting into the line, but never all the way into the keg. The LHBS guy told me his do the exact same thing, so he just "burns a half pint" and all is well. Call me crazy, but for $40 a piece, I think wasting a half pint every pour is unacceptable. Suggestions welcome.

Yep, that's he problem. Send those Ventmatics to me and I'll send you two of your old fashioned faucets. :D

Sounds like your tower is not getting any cooling into it or is not insulated. I have a 3 faucet tower too with 3 Perlicks and they work great for me. I've gone several days without pulling a pint (I know, but it helps keep the weight down, just Monday through Thursday, except an occasional Tuesday or Wednesday or maybe a Monday holiday).

Your faucets rock. Check to see how much airflow you have entering your tower from your fridge.

Thanks EdWort, I'll take a look. Three beer lines inside a 3" tower with insulation doesn't leave much room for air flow. I'll make sure the holes line up right, and maybe even put a muffin fan in there to aid flow.

I've thought of this before, but what I don't understand is why would temperature cause that souring? As long as the line is a closed system, it shouldn't matter. If I put beer in a bottle and leave a room temperature it doesn't sour.

Good question, but I have not had the same issue with my 3 inch tower with 3 Perlicks and I go for longer periods of time in between brews than 2 day. I did not increase the size of the hole when I upgraded from a 1 faucet to a 3 faucet tower either. It's just one big hole.

You mention holes as in more than one. Did you drill a hole for each line?

I've got a Kenmore 4.9 (same as the Sanyo 4912). So there's a hole through the plastic top, the fridge case, and a whole through a piece of support wood. If those holes aren't lined up perfectly I can see how flow would be restricted.

Back