To disconnect or leave connected?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyc318

Reaction score
I was just wondering if you guys leave both QD'S hooked up on your kegs all the time or if you un hooked them every night? What are some of your practices? I'm almost into kegging.

I see guys post about the liquid line leaking and losing lots of precious beer. Does anyone disconnect just the out line?

I once had a leaking poppet empty a keg.
Disconnecting is no guarantee. If there's a leak, something’s going to leak. Fix it.

Disconnecting your lines to prevent a leak is avoiding the problem, not fixing it. Leaks are frustrating, but they can be fixed. Do a dry run with water first if you're concerned, and leakcheck the crap out of it.

The people who lose beer hooked up to the beer line are using picnic taps for long term, which are easy to bump open and all your beer is in the bottom of your freezer. Using a tap handle, it is a lot more difficult to do that unless you have a clumsy cat.

No leaks, but I do sometimes disconnect the beer out line. This is more so our boys, 13 and 17, don't accidentally pour themselves a drink..... or to make sure there are no loses should the cat decide to play with the tap handles....

Back