Hop Growing question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rbeckett

Reaction score
Simple question hopefully. Does the hop bine growth take place at the bottom of the bine or does the bine grow from the top. The reason I ask is because I want to make an adjustable height hop trelis and need to know if that will work. It will only work if the bines shoot up from the ground and do not grow along their length. If they grow along their length I will just make the trellis 15 feet tall from the begining and let them climb. Any answers please? TIA for the help.
Bob

they grow from the top/tips. the bottom portion of the plant, closest to the roots, does not do the growing (at least not much). just like a tree - that big low branch doesn't really move, it will always be about the same distance off the ground. it's the upper tips of the tree that keep reaching higher and higher.

Bob I'm not sure if you still check this post but or for that matter have already built your trellis but a adjustable hop trellis will work, I picked this trick up from a online hop growing forum ( I wish I could remember which one). This technique applies to both in ground and potted hops. First ou do need a smallish trellis 5 foot or so then second tie off a 20' + stranded piece of sisel twine or hemp rope etc just make sure it's strong to the trellis and loop the other side over something 20' high ie. a tree limb or a piece of lumber through a eye hook etc, be creative. Next take the other end of the twine and tie it to a looped ground stake leave yourself ample length on this side.Done. As the bine grows you can adjust the height of the growth by releasing some slack on the ground loop side to lower the height on the trellis side. I have used this technique very succesfully as I have very limited height where I live ( townhouse). I will post a picture later today to show this in pictures.

Back