Keg Will Not Carb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barhoc11

Reaction score
I wouldn't be posting this question if I hadn't already done everything I could think of to troubleshoot this issue. I had this happen before last year prior to the same annual party we through and I never figured out what was causing this issue, I thought it was a fluke, but now I am seeming to have the same issue. We have the party coming up on Saturday so now I am starting to freak a bit. Any help is appreciated.

Background:

On Friday I kegged a berliner style sour beer that I had let sit on blueberries and raspberries for a couple of weeks. I set the pressure to 30 psi and left it for 2 days before turning down to serving psi, just as I did with the 3 other beers I kegged in the past couple of weeks.

It is now 2 days later and still have the keg @ 30 psi so I would expect to have some type of carbonation in my beer when I take a sample, but I do not. It could be me worrying and not wanting to wait on this like I did last year but it just seems like I have the same issue as I did last time. If I have an issue now, I want to try to get it corrected so that I can have this thing carbed up by Saturday.

What I have troubleshot so far:
I have made sure that when I pull the release valve, pressure is being released and that CO2 is being put back into the keg. I can hear the CO2 tank refilling the keg so I know that it's going in. Also, the CO2 stops filling when getting to 30psi so I don't think there is a leak. If there were, I would think I could hear my CO2 tank running or feel the lines vibrating as I do when it fills. Where is the CO2 going?

I am out of ideas, am I being impatient? I would just think that after 2 days @ 30 psi I would have some sort of carbonation in the beer!

Is the beer nice and cold, around 40 degrees or less?

It was around 70 degrees going into the keg but is now sitting around 40. This was the only beer I didn't cold crash prior to kegging so I am hoping it is just taking longer due to the warmer temps.

Even still, say it took the 70F keg 1 day out of the 2 it has been at 30 psi to get down to around 40F, shoudn't I have some carbonation now?

have you recently replaced poppets? Most of the new poppets have very strong springs. I have had to cut a few shorter in order to carbonate beers in those kegs

It was around 70 degrees going into the keg but is now sitting around 40. This was the only beer I didn't cold crash prior to kegging so I am hoping it is just taking longer due to the warmer temps.

Even still, say it took the 70F keg 1 day out of the 2 it has been at 30 psi to get down to around 40F, shoudn't I have some carbonation now?

No, not much. If I put a warm keg in the kegerator, I always go at least 36 hours at 30 psi before seeing carbonation.

Back