Priming sugar question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaneoco1981

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I made a Christmas Ale that I am going to be bottling. I was thinking I might use brown sugar as my priming sugar. Has anyone used brown sugar as your priming sugar? If so, how did it turn out, how much did you use, and did it leave any of its flavor to your brew? And last, would you do it again?

I've never used it, but a buddy of mine recently primed a batch of kolsch with turbinado when he found himself out of corn sugar and it turned out to be one of his best brews to date. I would think any subtle molasses notes you might get would work well in a Christmas Ale.

I've done it for a couple of my darker batches (Brown, RIS, Porter). Works well with those, but the subtle additions may not shine through the darker malts at only 4 or 5 oz.

I've also added it into my Apfelwein and you can taste only a light molasses/rummy note. I added 1 lb to the AW.

I used brown sugar for priming a Christmas beer a few years ago and was very happy with the results. There was a hint of cookie-like brown sugar flavor that went well with the spices (nutmeg, clove, cinnamon, etc.).

I used 4 oz for a 5-gallon batch.

We actually get at least one thread a day asking about this.

You can prime a beer with ANY fermentable. I give detailed info on priming with alternative primers including fruit juice (including a link to a podcast on that subject,) maple syrup, honey, and other sugars in my bottling stickey- Scroll to the lower half of this post.

I primed my EB with demerara sugar (raw cane)& the complexity it added to the flavor was nice. It has a light brown sugar laced with honey flavor. Adding it to the recipe would be nice as well.

We actually get at least one thread a day asking about this.

You can prime a beer with ANY fermentable. I give detailed info on priming with alternative primers including fruit juice (including a link to a podcast on that subject,) maple syrup, honey, and other sugars in my bottling stickey- Scroll to the lower half of this post.

Really? Cause I did a couple of searches and came up with nothing. Typing in brown sugar gave me nothing. Typing in "brown+sugar+priming" resulted in nothing either. If there is one thread a day about brown sugar as priming sugar, the search engine here SUCKS.

Shaneoco1981 said:
Really? Cause I did a couple of searches and came up with nothing. Typing in brown sugar gave me nothing. Typing in "brown+sugar+priming" resulted in nothing either. If there is one thread a day about brown sugar as priming sugar, the search engine here SUCKS.

Try google using this format
site:homebrewtalk.com brown sugar

Yeah, because I post the same answer I gave you, every day. At LEAST once. ;)

I use the advance search mode and never have problems finding what I'm looking for. I search for my own posts 20 times a day for example to find what I wrote to answer the handful of repetitive questions we get a ton of on here. Like this one.

But yeah, I just tried grem's google search tip just now and got 10 pages of threads on this topic.

It's a pretty common idea folks get, especially around holidays. A huge flood of the questions come with pumpkin ales brewing in the fall.

Revvy said:
But yeah, I just tried grem's google search tip just now and got 10 pages of threads on this topic.

Wow I showed Revvy something!!! Now i only need to show him another 163,564,773 things to break even. LOL

Back