First Blow-out; Starter too Large?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheJadedDog

AFK ATM
Reaction score
So I had my first ever blowout and it was an English Brown Ale of all things. I used WL London Ale yeast and pitched at 72deg. I think it may be because I pitched a quart starter (rather than the typical pint). Anyone know if this could be the reason?

Heck yea that was the reason! A quart of yeast slurry is billions and billions of yeast cells. Even a pint of slurry can still cause a blowoff.

If you could have got the temp down lower it might have slowed em down some.....But a quart....hmmm is that more than a yeast cake off a regular brew, Thats a big pitch.....

I use 2-quart (1L) starters as a rule, and I've never had a blowoff. So, take what you will from that, but I wouldn't blame big starters...big starters ensure short lag times, not blowoffs.

No such thing as too big of a starter! :D

That doesn't sound too extreme. I would take it as an accomplishment. You must have done everything perfect to get such a reaction from the yeast. Just make sure you use blowoffs from now on. I'm sure that beer will turn out great with such a vigorous fermentation. :mug:

hmm im on my 3rd batch now. i bought a true brew pilsner kit. i added 1oz of US Saaz hops and i bought the WL pilsner yeast smack pack, i just smacked it and waited for it to get big then dumped it in the fermenter with the wort at pitching temp lol am i looking forward to a blowoff???

Back