Lessons learned but should I...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaberwokey

Reaction score
This past weekend I brewed an APA with an OG of 1.048 and pitched with both Wyeast 1056 American Ale & 1332 Northwest Ale. I pitched at ~70 degrees and due to a poor choice in carboy location the temp rose to about 80 degrees within the first 24 hours. Sure, I had great airlock action but I was concered about the production of fusels so I moved the carboy to a separate room with temp controls and dropped the temp to ~69. I took a gravity reading today and I'm at 1.007 already...yikes, that was fast! I tasted the sample and it's not bad...not nearly as much body as I expected but I'm sure that's a result of the high temp. I wonder how bad my headaches are going to be from this one ;)

So...my question is this:

I want to brew this beer again right away and control the temps better so I can compare the two and continue to learn from my mistakes. Should I reuse the yeast from the first batch? Is there any reason why I shouldn't?

Thanks!

I accidentally fermented my first batch with harvested Pacman in the 80s. The beer turned out terrible, but the Pacman that I washed from it went on to turn out 3 excellent batches and counting. I would guess that as long as you control fermentation temps for the next batch using that yeast, you'd be fine.

You'll be fine for a couple more batches using the mixed yeast. After that one yeast may start to out compete the other yeast.

Latest posts

Back