Pyramid Snow Cap Recipe Conversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KeeferMan

Reaction score
I am really enjoying this Snow Cap ale I am getting at the local 7-11. I found a "clone" 6-gallon all-grain recipe for it and tried to convert it to an extract + steeping grains.

Hit most of the numbers on tastybrew.com but I am sure I didn't do it quite right?

I divided the specialty grains by roughly 5/6 (but I am steeping instead of mashing, is this right?).

I then added enough light dry extract to hit the OG (1.08). Kept the hops in the same timings and ratio but decreased amounts to hit the IBU (44).

The 6-gallon AG recipe had:
16# 2-row
1.25# Crystal Malt (60L)
.5# Chocolate Malt

1 oz. Nugget (60 min)
1 oz. Fuggles (30 min)
1 oz. EK Golding (10 min)

For a 5 gallon extract I came up with:
8.5# Light DME
1.05# Crystal Malt (60L)
.42 Chocolate Malt

.33 oz. Nugget (60 min)
.33 oz. Fuggles (30 min)
.33 oz. EK Golding (10 min)

As a side note, they mention Willamette on the web site but not fuggles?

Thoughts (preferably related to the above subject matter)? :D

I would have left the specialty malt amounts alone, I can’t think of a reason to reduce them.

Why did you reduce the hops by so much? A quick run through a calculator says that you are under 20 IBUs even if you did a full boil.

I reduced the specialty malts because the original recipe was for six gallons and I brew five.

Also, did you use pellets as the type of hops in your calculator?

... Also, did you use pellets as the type of hops in your calculator?
That shouldn't much matter. The alpha acid % is what matters. Assuming the AA% is the same, then you should be using 0.85oz. of hops. Plus, since you won't be doing a full five gallon boil, you'll might want to increase the amount of hops to account for lower hop utilization. IMO, I'd stick with 1oz.

8.5 lbs. of DME will probably work. The amount of DME will depend to some degree on the brand of DME you are using.

Willamette is a triploid seedling of the English Fuggle, so they are pretty interchangeable.

Well the malt change certainly makes sense. However, as Rhoobarb said, pellets only have about 10% better utilization than leaf hops, not enough to make up for the lower amount you used.

Back