kegging/CO2 compatibility

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whisler85

Reaction score
My little sister works at an Ace hardware and gets a wicked employee discount that goes up the longer she works there

i know they both sell and refill CO2 tanks there- if i get a discounted tank from her, will it be compatible with a corny kegging system i get online? will i need just fittings? will it matter if the tank was originally intended for paintballing?

help?

It really depends on the type of tank. If you are looking at a tank that is connected to a paintball gun, that wouldn't be ideal for a kegging sytem.

I went with a 20lb tank, it would cost me 14 to exchange a 10lb or 18 to exchange a 20lb. Twice as much co2 for an additional 4. Of course I had to come up with the 20lb tank, which I found one for 80. Total cost of 98 for a full 20lb tank.

I unfortunatly have no advice for paintball tanks. You will need a regulator for sure.

Paintball tanks have a little pin that has to be depressed in order for it to dispense co2. The easiest fix for this is to buy a "remote line" for the paintball tank.

It's real use (in the paintball world) is to let you strap your tank to you back and it runs a braided line to you gun.

But like kirscp said, you will need a regulator. Depending on the amount of the discount she gets, buy the biggest real tank you can get.

I would think that it depends which fittings are available. You can make anything compatible as long as you can match the fittings somehow.

Back