Simply Margarita

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
5 oz Simply Limeade
2 oz tequila (I like Sauza Hornitos)
Simply Orange Juice to taste (2 oz max)
Splash Gran Marnier, Triple Sec, or other orange liqueur
Kosher salt (don't bother buying special "margarita salt")
Fresh lime

Wet rim of margarita glass with a slice of lime and dip into salt. Toss the lime slice into the glass. Shake liquid ingredients with ice. Pour entire contents into glass. Enjoy!

You'll likely never buy pre-made margarita mix again!

Sounds Great! I'd love to try a new one.

Here's one that I served a couple of weekends ago and it was a big hit!

Great Margaritas

Makes about 3 cups, serving 6
Recipe from Season 6 of Mexico - One Plate at a Time
Ingredients

3/4 cup fresh lime juice, about 3 large limes
6 tablespoons sugar
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons blanco tequila (I used Milagro Silver)
¼ cup Gran Torres orange liqueur ( I used Patron Citronge)
Lime wedges
Coarse salt (Kosher salt)
About 1 ½ cups small (or coarsely broken) ice cubes

Directions

1. Make limeade. Combine the lime juice, sugar and 1 cup water in a glass or plastic pitcher. Cover and refrigerate if not using right away (but no longer than 24 hours).
2. Finish and serve margaritas. Add the tequila and orange liqueur to the pitcher of limeade. Rub the rims of 6 martini glasses with a lime wedge, then dip them in a dish of coarse salt. In a large shaker, combine the half of the margarita mixture with half of the ice and shake 10 to 15 seconds, then strain into the prepared glasses. Repeat with the rest of the mixture.

Sounds great, Ed!

On a different note, if you want frozen drinks...

Ya know what makes a pitcher of frozen margaritas really work well? 1/2 can of Coors Light! I can't explain it, but it really adds to the texture and "flowability."

Here's another one.

White Trash Margarita

6 oz. Frozen Lime Concentrate
6 oz. Tequila
6 oz. Beer
3 oz. white wine
ice
Fill blender 80% ice then blend all

Sounds great, Ed!

On a different note, if you want frozen drinks...

Ya know what makes a pitcher of frozen margaritas really work well? 1/2 can of Coors Light! I can't explain it, but it really adds to the texture and "flowability."

Yuri its because the Co2 in the beer suspends the ice. Old bartenders trick try it w/ a Corona. Much better IMO
JJ

Squeeze a bunch of limes. Add a bunch of sugar and tequila till it tastes right. Also add some triple sec or Cointreau. Freeze it. If it freezes, add more tequila and try again.

mine is
2 oz of Milagro Reposado in tall shot glass:D
Enjoy
JJ

That's a good Tequila. You know, on a side note, there is NOTHING worse than cheap Tequila. You can get away with certain cheap distilled alcohols in mixers but not Tequila. Like Dos Dedos *shudder*.

I like it tart, so I usually forgo the sugar and just go with freshly squeezed lime juice (those sacks of limes at Sam's Club are teh cheap this time of year), tequila, triple sec, ice, salt.

I like it tart, so I usually forgo the sugar and just go with freshly squeezed lime juice (those sacks of limes at Sam's Club are teh cheap this time of year), tequila, triple sec, ice, salt.

Yep, Costco has 5# for 5 bucks and the limes are great!

BTW, you can make just about any premixed Rita better by squeezing a 1/2 lime into it.

Premade margarita mix is teh devil. Stay away like the plague. Something about high fructose corn syrup and artificial lime flavor just goes down the wrong way.

Here is a simple, delicious, manly margarita that'll put some hair on your chest:

Grab two rocks glasses. Ditch the margarita glasses. Rub the outside with a lime and sprinkle kosher salt along the rim if you so desire.

7 oz. Tequila
4 oz. Triple Sec
3 oz. Fresh squeezed lime juice (key limes - mexican limes - work much better for a great margarita than your standard Persian limes. They are smaller and require a little more work, but the end result is a more tart, more delicious drink.)
Mix all the ingredients together, stir well, and pour over ice in your rocks glasses. Makes enough for two.

I find this will make an excellent recipe even if you are using Jose. And it only gets better the higher quality of Tequila you use. However, the most important aspect of a good margarita, IMO, is your Triple Sec. Splurge and spend the extra $2 on a good bottle of it and you'll find your margarita improves greatly.

Good luck! Sip slowly, these catch up quickly!

Back