Advanced extract brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
... and for those who wish to continue to repeat the "problems" of source water, consider this:

1676033777137.png
1676033825254.png
eta: supposedly, one should limit "extract" to styles that are hop forward or yeast forward. Good thing this brewer didn't listen.

@Pehlman17 : I have a different set of "take-aways" from the book.

If you think the source water in Chilton has changed, then discard that section of the book and find a different approach for flavor salt additions.

Personally, I found the information useful and it provided a better starting point for flavor salt additions (than if I had started with nothing).

YMMV.

@Pehlman17 : I have a different set of "take-aways" from the book.

If you think the source water in Chilton has changed, then discard that section of the book and find a different approach for flavor salt additions.

Personally, I found the information useful and it provided a better starting point for flavor salt additions (than if I had started with nothing).

YMMV.
I did too. I can say that I like the author's general advice regarding what styles Briess and Monton's might be best suited for respectively. Albiet, I've only used Briess, but his take on Munton's flavor profile with respect to Briess seems to match what I hear about it.

Has anybody noticed in Beersmith3 that Briess DME's are listed as having a SG potential of 1.034? Is that backwards? I feel like it should be more like 1.043, no? Muntons Spraymalt DME's for example are listed at a potential of 1.045

Edit: Looks like there was an issue. According to the BeerSmith forum, they just updated the Briess ingredients add-on in December and I was unaware. Uninstalling and re-installing the add-on corrected all the SG's. Just an FYI to those of you using BeerSmith.

Last edited:
I found I prefer Munton's DME over Briess. Briess was fairly bland.
Have you noticed any difference in fermentability between the two brands? I know Briess claims 75% but I can’t seem to find the same info for Muntons.

background: in a couple of different topics, I have hinted at a purchasing / usage process that could work for brewing with fresh LME. I'll outline it here (partially so I don't forget about it).
  1. identify stores that store and repackage it well - and have a satisfaction guarantee (these stored exist today)
  2. confirm that these stores can deliver fresh product using a 3rd party (being in a 1 or 2 day delivery zone is a plus)
  3. store it properly when it arrives
  4. use it promptly after it arrives
Information for indirectly confirming freshness the of the LME (by measuring color before the boil starts) exists - probably earlier in this topic.

use it promptly after it arrives
I'm changing over to mainly DME, but when I was using all LME, I bought extract for three brews on each order. I brewed the lightest beer first and the darkest last. It was normally all used after about two months. It seemed to work pretty well.

Let's see what develops in 2022 ...
In retrospect, I feel that 2022 was a good year for this topic.

But, as they (occasionally) say, "all good things must come to an end need a break". And I'm working on some ideas that appear to need about a year to prove/dis-prove to my satisfaction. Maybe some of the ideas will leak into "I brewed an experimental recipe a few weeks ago...".

Thank you for the discussion. We'll discuss again in other topics! :mug:

Measuring the freshness of LME

Recently, I used this technique with a package of LME (oxygen barrier bag). The LME spent 7 days in shipping (dock to door in early April). The color that I measured early on brew day was matched what the provider stated. The color of the beer going into bottles was essentially the same. Hydrometer sample did not have any of the specific off flavors associated with stale LME /1/.

In advance, I'll state the obvious: do this measurement using a beer drinking glass, NOT IN THE FERMENTER.

From BYO Big Book of Homebrewing, 1e (Jan 2017), p 19:
1682255912632.png

There is an episode of Basic Brewing Radio /1/ that mentions the amount of color added during a 45 min boil - it's one.

From Homebrew Recipe Bible (Colby, Sept 2016), p 10:
1682256109581.png

And the same Basic Brewing Radio episode /1/ will have some specific off flavor descriptors for stale LME.

/1/ Basic Brewing Radio: Aug 25 and Nov 17 2005.

I wonder how much the 2 lb rice syrup had to do with the success of that beer.
Speaking of rice extract, I'd be curious to know if anyone has thoughts on using rice extract as opposed to sugar when it comes to lightening the body of higher ABV extract recipes. Particularly styles where sugars typically aren't employed in a standard all-grain recipe (ie, not Belgians or West Coast DIPAs). As far as I understand, rice extract (at least the dried kind) still contains about 40% maltose. In terms of fermentation I've heard it speculated that the sugar composition of a wort can effect the yeast's preferences. For example, that too high a ratio of glucose could deter the yeast from fully utilizing the maltose and/or maltotriose present. I'm not sure if this is even really a concern on the homebrew scale, or if the ratio of sugar would have to be higher than anyone would ever use in a beer anyway. I'm just curious as to whether there'd be any reason to use it over plain sugar (either dextrose, or sucrose) to both raise the OG and boost potential attenuation.

rice extract as opposed to sugar when it comes to lightening the body of higher ABV extract recipes
I've looked for product information on rice extract (from manufacturers) a couple of times over the years. I never found enough information to 'move forward' using it. Information on the labels off 1# / 3# packages suggested it is around 50% fermentable (vs 75% for DME/LME). At the moment, unless I have a specific need, the lower fermentability and higher cost cause me to pause on any trial recipes.

lightening the body of higher ABV extract recipes [...] (ie, not Belgians or West Coast DIPAs).
Did you have a specific recipe (or maybe a specific style) in mind? Also, having the all-grain recipe and the "equivalent" extract-based recipe would be helpful (as not all algorithmic recipe conversions result in an equivalent beer).

too high a ratio of glucose could deter the yeast from fully utilizing the maltose and/or maltotriose
Could it be that this is yeast strain specific? Also, could the techniques for making high gravity (12%-ish ABV) IPAs be useful?

I'm not sure if this is even really a concern on the homebrew scale, or if the ratio of sugar would have to be higher than anyone would ever use in a beer anyway.
Hopefully, we can avoid awakening the "ghost" of early "Kit and Kilo" brewers that seem to still haunt HomeBrewTalk.

My guess is that the upper limit for sugar in DME based style appropriate beer recipes is between 15% and 30%. Above those percentages, it's best to not judge the beverage against competition beer style guidelines. (side note: In a different topic /1/, I recently mentioned that I'm seeing some "hybrid wort" beverages in local / regional craft brewery tap rooms).

Given what has been posted here with regard to mineral content and wort composition for different brands of "amber" DME, how would one build a recipe for either a Red IPA (hoppy) or a "Double Red" Ale (malty) using DME as the primary malt?

So "too high" is probably a combination style / recipe / ingredient brand / taster.

I'm just curious as to whether there'd be any reason to use it [rice solids] over plain sugar (either dextrose, or sucrose) to both raise the OG and boost potential attenuation.
Last spring, when I was brewing test batches of higher ABV IPAs, I (re)confirmed that
  • extra light / pilsen DME is the starting point for lighter color
  • sugar and brewers crystals (in place of DME) could be used to help lower color
  • sugar (in place of DME) could be used to improve fermentability (brewers crystals are roughly 75%-80% fermentable)
Rice solids appear to have a similar SRM to brewers crystals. The apparent lower fermentability of rice solids (I haven't verified the 50% fermentability) appears to be a problem for higher gravity beers.

/1/
FWIW, at the local / regional craft brewing level, I'm starting to see some hybrid wort (50% barley, 50% honey) beverages. From my limited experiences with these beverages, 50% simple sugars will result in a flavor / body that is different from a similar 100% malted barley wort. If you choose to try them, set aside those competition brewing guidelines and enjoy the moment.

I don't think BIAB would be any better than what I'm currently doing, as far as having my little man around. I don't see it as being any worse either though. I agree that AG can have advantages over Extract, but that isn't really what this discussion is about. We're looking to find ways to make the best extract beer we can by learning how to work around the limitations (or perhaps debunking some of the perceived limitations). As a few people here have already said, they do both AG and extract, and for those of us who haven't done AG yet, it doesnt mean we won't, just that, while we are using extract, we'd like to get the best possible results from it.

Back onto the subject, I either heard on a podcast, or read somewhere recently (sorry, I can't remember for the life of me), that adding a small amount of base malts can really help an extract brew out. In a way they were talking about doing very small partial mashes, by adding in a pound or so of 2-row or whatever base malt the AG recipe was using, to the steeping grains, and pretty much aiming for a "steep" at 152. They also said to remove a certain amount of your base malt extract, as you were effectively replacing it... Though I forget the conversion to figure out how much to remove.

The idea behind it is that extract doesn't carry much of the original flavour of the grains, and that by adding a pound or so of the base malt to the steep/mash can make a huge difference. It seemed that they didn't want to turn all your recipes into partial mashes, as the amount of base malt was very small, but just make a slightly bigger steep, and doing it at the proper mash temp. Anyone ever tried this, or have any thoughts on it?

If you’re using base malt in an extract brew, you really need to mash those grains until they convert. Otherwise those base malts will leech proteins and create haze.

There’s a belief that extract is low in Free Amino Nitrogen (FAN) which is why some people do a mini-mash. It’s not really true. When I worked for Muntons I verified this with their Brewing Technologist.

For color adjustment and to add a “fresh” grain flavor, you can stick with steeping dark kilned (Caramel/Caramunich) or drum roasted (CaraPils, Crystal, Chocolate, Black, etc) malts.

Yeah...I noticed that the quote that @WouldBeBrewmaster pulled in was from 2013...
Adding a small amount of base malts can really help an extract brew out. In a way they were talking about doing very small partial mashes, by adding in a pound or so of 2-row or whatever base malt the AG recipe was using, to the steeping grains, and pretty much aiming for a "steep" at 152....The idea behind it is that extract doesn't carry much of the original flavour of the grains, and that by adding a pound or so of the base malt to the steep/mash can make a huge difference.
I am not positive that doing a simple partial mash with a generic Pale Malt would have enough impact to make it worth the effort, but I have not tried. It does open you up to base malts that are not available in extract form, such as Vienna Malt, Simpsons Golden Promise. A partial mash is also the best way to pull in starch containing specialty malts like Aromatic, Victory, Biscuit, Honey Malt, Melanoidin, Brown Malt, Special Roast, etc. Also unmalted grains like raw, torrefied or flaked oats, wheat, rye, etc.

Note that most malted grains like wheat or rye have plenty of diastatic power to be uses as the base grain in a partial mash. I have only done one partial mash ever. It was for a Hazy Pale Ale and I mashed some Malted Wheat and Flaked Oats.

So what are your thoughts on how to implement an effective partial mash?
For the mechanics of how to do it, get out your spaghetti pot or the largest pot from your cookware set that is not a giant homebrew pot. Put in your crushed grains and hopefully you can fit enough water 1.5 qts per pound. Put on the lid.

Stick it in your oven, set your temp to 148 or so, leave it for an hour at temp.

For the mechanics of how to do it, get out your spaghetti pot or the largest pot from your cookware set that is not a giant homebrew pot. Put in your crushed grains and hopefully you can fit enough water 1.5 qts per pound. Put on the lid.

Stick it in your oven, set your temp to 148 or so, leave it for an hour at temp.
The idea of a using a pre-heated oven for temperature control of mini-mashes was well convered in 1-gal brewers unite a couple of years ago.

I was curious if @WouldBeBrewmaster had some additional ideas.

The idea of a using a pre-heated oven for temperature control of mini-mashes was well convered in 1-gal brewers unite a couple of years ago.

I have some other ideas. Blow your monthly brewing budget on a Corona style mill and set it as tight as it gets. Blow your next months brewing budget on a pair of paint strainer bags (they come 2 in a package in most places, some will have a 5 pack or even more). Mill your grains and heat water to about 160F, enough water to make a thin mix. Put the bag into the water and stir the grains into the bag to eliminate any dough balls. Wait 30 minutes. Pull the bag out and let it drain into the pot. It will take less than 30 minutes for conversion of the starch to sugars but extracting flavor takes longer. The temperature is only important during the conversion of starch to sugar so you don't need to keep the temperature stable. Extracting flavors happens over a large range of water temperatures.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/TRIMACO-6-2-in-x-9-5-in-Disposable-Strainer-2-Pack-11523/300307493
https://www.amazon.com/Cranking-Ope...cphy=9020279&hvtargid=pla-1886912518276&psc=1

Mill your grains and heat water to about 160F, enough water to make a thin mix.
For a BIAB type mash, I'd aim at using around 2 quarts of (hot) water per pound of grist, I wouldn't go thinner than that.
And make sure there's enough diastatic power in the grain mix (> 35°Lintner) to convert all the grain.

Unless you know your tap water is soft (low in minerals and alkalinity) or when in doubt, use RO (or distilled) water for the mash, or even the whole brew.

For a BIAB type mash, I'd aim at using around 2 quarts of (hot) water per pound of grist, I wouldn't go thinner than that.
And make sure there's enough diastatic power in the grain mix (> 35°Lintner) to convert all the grain.

Unless you know your tap water is soft (low in minerals and alkalinity) or when in doubt, use RO (or distilled) water for the mash, or even the whole brew.
The mash needs minerals in the water. Extract does not.

Never done it before. Back when I was doing small batch BIAB, our oven wouldn't go lower than 190F. If you oven can, I don't see why it wouldn't work.

So what are your thoughts on how to implement an effective partial mash?

The simplest way is to heat your strike water to 12 degrees F above your mash temp, 162F to mash at 150F. Put your grains in and mash for 60 mins. Turn your stove burner on it's lowest setting, as low as it can go just to help maintain the temp. Don't worry if it drops a couple degrees, if it drops 5 degress or more, turn up the heat one click. If the temp raises by 5 degrees, turn the burner off.

Don't tinker with the mash if the temp is off by a couple degrees. Close enough is good enough. Excessively screwing with it will only make it worse. When I first started doing BIAB on the stove top for small batches or partial mash, I definitely fiddled with the mash too much. If my thermometer went down a few degrees, I'd add boiling water or turn on the heating element on our electric stove. Then when it got too hot, I'd panic and throw ice in the mash. Don't do that. As always, RDWHAHB

After doing a few partial mashes, you will get a feel how to maintain a steady temperature on your stove. Also, stir the mash or grain bag every 15-20 mins or so.

since this is the "advanced extract brewing" topic let's try to move past 'simplest' approaches ...

Is that what you do (if not, what do you do)? is there a better way?

Everyone else: I'm interesting in reading what brewers are actually doing with mini- and partial- mashes.

For about three years that's how I brewed almost every batch; either as a 5-gal partial mash or 3-gal BIAB.

Everyone else: I'm interesting in reading what brewers are actually doing with mini- and partial- mashes.
The only time I use DME any more is for making imperials. With my 3 gallon batches, one 3 lb bag of DME replaces about 4 to 5 lbs of base malt, allowing me to mash full volume and still get 80+% lauter efficiency on my grain bill, and by adding the DME at the end of the boil, I don't need as much bittering hops.

I did a side-by-side on 10%-ish barleywine a couple of years ago: all-grain v partial mash (50%). For me, it was easy to tell the difference.
I haven't done a side-by-side, but I have added 3 or 4 lbs of DME late to turn a mid-gravity wort into a high gravity wort. But it's usually more like a 2/3 to 3/4 mash. I guess maybe I should try some smaller batches to see if they turn out better.

I really like the idea of a small mash in the oven I hadn't thought of that before.
I also suffer from an oven that won't go low enough, only goes down to 170f.
But I do have a nice digital thermometer that has alarms for high and low temps that would facilitate manual temp control.

I really like the idea of a small mash in the oven I hadn't thought of that before.
I also suffer from an oven that won't go low enough, only goes down to 170f.
Most oven thermostats are not that accurate or reliable to reach a set or holding temperature. Don't just rely on that for keeping your mash at the right temps.

Just pre-warm the oven to a few degrees above your intended mash temp, then turn it off!
Use an oven thermometer or a non-plastic one to measure.

Then place your mash vessel inside the oven. That mash should be at the right temp already. The oven only helps keeping the mash at that temp.

Instead of using an oven, wrapping the mash pot in a thick blanket also slows down heat loss. Of course the whole pot gets wrapped, including the bottom.

Set oven to WARM or lowest.
Heat strike water and add milled grains and sitr
Put lid on pot
Turn off oven
put pot in oven

The thermal mass of the mash in the pot, with the addition of warm thermal air mass of the warmed, but turned off, oven, will do a great job over the short time needed for conversion (it happens fairly quickly if grains are milled well).

Most oven thermostats are not that accurate or reliable to reach a set or holding temperature. Don't just rely on that for keeping your mash at the right temps.

Just pre-warm the oven to a few degrees above your intended mash temp, then turn it off!
Use an oven thermometer or a non-plastic one to measure.

Then place your mash vessel inside the oven. That mash should be at the right temp already. The oven only helps keeping the mash at that temp.

Instead of using an oven, wrapping the mash pot in a thick blanket also slows down heat loss. Of course the whole pot gets wrapped, including the bottom.
This oven corresponds well to the thermopen baking unit so I'm reasonably confident in the accuracy.
Its a convection model with digital settings so the problem with the heat then turnoff tactic is that it uses the fan to cool-down when it is turned off, so that contributes to the problem of temp cycling.

This oven corresponds well to the thermopen baking unit so I'm reasonably confident in the accuracy.
Its a convection model with digital settings so the problem with the heat then turnoff tactic is that it uses the fan to cool-down when it is turned off, so that contributes to the problem of temp cycling.
When your oven keeps the right temps, that's perfect, mash away!

If there's no way to disable that fan, try wrapping some of this around your kettle, and forget about the oven. Not only will it keep your mash temp stable (my 4 gallon mash only loses about 3 degrees over 60 minutes), but it'll help you heat up your water significantly faster.

Latest posts

Back