Repitching yeast after lagering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mithion

Reaction score
I have a simple question regarding yeast population after lagering. I brewed an Altbier with Wyeast 1007 german ale which I fermented 3 weeks in a primary. I then racked off to secondary for lagering for 4 weeks. Will I need to repitch yeast for carbonation purposes or will there be enough left in suspension to do the job after lagering?

There should be plenty left in suspension. Sometimes it may take a bit longer than normal to carbonate (3-4 weeks) but it should be fine

i agree, after 4 weeks of lagering, there will be planty of yeast left for bottle conditioning(carbonation).

That's great news. This beer will be served at my wedding so presentation is important. I just want to make sure I don't have to siphon some of yeast cake when racking to my bottling bucket. Personally speaking, I couldn't care less about having yeast sediment in my beer. I just pour it slowly and leave most of it behind. But this beer will be served by a bartender who will not be familiar with bottle condition beers so the least amount of sediment would be best as to not turn off our homebrew virgin guests.

Back