Furnace Blower=Hood?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EuBrew

Reaction score
I was in the basement dreaming of my all elecrtic set up and noticed the furnace I replaced sitting in the corner collecting dust. Any thoughts on converting the blower on this into a hood for venting the steam? It may be a little overkill since I won't need to vent any CO. My ceilings are pretty low in the basement so the shroud wouldn't need to be very deep.

It should work. A lot of woodworkers use old squirrel cage blowers to make air filtration units for their shops to get rid of sawdust.

That's one thing I'm debating on. Since I'm restricted on headroom in the basement anyway I may go a different route. I do a lot of woodwork and have thought about using it for that exact thing. If I was as handy with metal as I am with wood my keggles would be done by now!

I hear ya - I have a blower sitting on my bench, waiting to be boxed with filter for use in my woodshop. Just can't seem to get around to it.

I'd mount the blower on the side of the hood. Any furnace blower will have plenty of capacity. You could also use flexduct to place the intakes over the kettles.

Back