vent hood

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stubbs5150

Reaction score
i am moving my brewery into the basement with natural gas. my question is should my ventilation hood cover all three vessels or just the brew kettle. has an inline fan and good incoming air and next to a window.

I'm about 3 weeks away from being moved into a new house and i'll be using a propane burner in the basement.

they sell 24, 30 & 48 inch metal hoods at lowes, I'll use which one works for me. As for yours, i don't see why any of the pots except the boiler kettle would need a shroud.
What kind of inline fan did you get, and where did you get it?

I bought a kitchen oven hood (30") on craigslist and I have it over my boil kettle and my HLT. The mash tun almost always has the lid on so I don't get a lot of water vapor with that. It works OK for my (all electric) application

For your setup I'd make sure to have a very good hood with a lot of air circulation, also you could run some ducting in to right below your rig to provide make up air that will go past the burners. As you know you'll also want a CO detector in the room.

With the amount of airflow you want you may end up making your own hood.

I brew in my finished basement w/ nothing more than a window fan behind my electric brewstand. It does get a little humid during the brew session, but simply running the fan for a couple hours afterwards bring everything back to normal. Attempting to capture all the steam w/ a hood is a nice idea, but in practice, I have found that simply ventilating the area well works just fine...YMMV.

I use one of those dual fans you put in window, above all 3 vessels, 2 b urners going. Little humid, and warm in the summer, but no CO

I am also trying to come up with a vent solution for the basement. I am going electric though, so removing steam is the only issue.

I have an electric leaf blower laying around that I don't use. Any thoughts on whether or not using the motor on that would work?

Latest posts

Back