Secondary ferment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EvanLouis

Reaction score
I've racked to secondary and added juniper berries and coriander seed. I noticed during the primary the airlock stopped. Bubbling after the 2nd week, maybe it was going really slow, Idk. But the water in the airlock on the secondary even. I figured I'd just let it ride a week and then bottle it. The beer tasted fine, a little medicinal though! Any thoughts? Is it normal to not bubble in secondary

A secondary does not ferment unless you add more sugars. It is only for clearing. Medicinal might be a worry but not related to bubbles in the airlock.

The taste often changes quite a bit between bottling and when it is fully conditioned. I have had a couple that I was worried about but after 3 weeks bottle conditioning they were very good.

Awesome. Thanks. I figured the secondary was more for added flavoring and clearing out, I just never did one before. I'm not too worried about the taste as it'll be another month before I crack one open.

Back