Brewhemoth Tri Clover Valves

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chefkeith

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm shopping for tri-clover valves for my Brewhemoth. The dump fitting is 1.5," but I understand that a 1" valve will work with it. How much of a disadvantage would I be at by using a 1" valve instead of a 1.5"?

I didn't look very hard for a 1.5" valve yet, but it seems that the 1" valves are much more common? Is this correct? And does anyone know where to find a reasonably priced 1.5" valve?

Thanks!

If you mismatch the sizes you are going to have an internal edge on the gasket or valve flange where trub will collect. You can try using the 1" valve with a concentric reducer, or go for a 1.5" butterfly valve which is cheaper and might be easier to find. Both are available on stpats.com

Here are pics of 2 butterfly valves both based on the 1.5" tri-clamp size - left hand size is a 1" and the right is a 1.5"

2637-dscf0004.jpg

I have been able to locate 2 places that have a 1.5 inch for a decent price.

One is on conical-fermenter.com which is a great price, but they are not in stock. The other is St Pats of Texas. The price is fine but the reputation that comes with this place is about as bad as they come.

It sounds like ordering here is a little like playing internet Russian roulette.

I might just get desperate enough to try it... my brewhemoth is supposed to be shipping this week.

Allright, I ordered the 1.5 inch pull handle valve from stpats.

$67 shipped.

I hope it goes smoothly...

I too was flinching the first time I bought from them.....but I've since purchases several orders with no problems. Quality, price, packaging, and ship times were all pretty darn good. They really are about the best thing going for some of the unique triclover stuff, definitely the best prices.

All went smoothly with the Stpats order. I never got the UPS email, but it came in very good time. I also got my Brewhemoth today! Thought I would share a picture or two of the valves.

brewstuff1.jpg

Also just picked up a new mash tun :)

brewstuff2.jpg

The dump is the 1.5 inch from St pats. The racking port is the 1 inch from brewers hardware.

brewstuff3.jpg

The cam lock fitting shown will be used when filling from the boil kettle. I have a 21" stainless thermowell coming that will take its place during fermentation.

I cannot wait to use it all!

Looks awesome! They said my brewhemoth was shipping Friday so hopefully any day now mine will be here also.

BTW, on your mash tun I see the camlock fitting pointing down, but whats the knob looking fitting at the front of the tee?

Looks awesome! They said my brewhemoth was shipping Friday so hopefully any day now mine will be here also.

BTW, on your mash tun I see the camlock fitting pointing down, but whats the knob looking fitting at the front of the tee?

That is a cap on the 2.5 inch thermowell (tee, thermowell, cap). I need to drill a small hole in it so I can run my type k thermocouple into it. I have not got around to that either.

Very nice. Can't wait for mine to get shipped.

Do you have a thermowell in your fermenter? I'm planning on getting them from brewers hardware and installing through a Tee in the top. I'll wait till my ferms get here so I know what size to order though

Am I wrong or the racking port is suppose to be 1"?
If so, how could you fit a 1.5" on it?!? :confused:

The racking port is 1 inch and I have a 1 inch valve attached.

Tri clover 1 and 1.5 inch fittings are actually the same size... they use identical clamps. Only the inner diameter is different. This is illustrated on the first page of posts for this thread.

Very nice. Can't wait for mine to get shipped.

Do you have a thermowell in your fermenter? I'm planning on getting them from brewers hardware and installing through a Tee in the top. I'll wait till my ferms get here so I know what size to order though

I ordered the standard 20 inch thermowell from them. I probably should have gone with a custom size though. Because of the angle it will sit it might be a bit short if I ever do any 5 gallon batches. If you are going to use a tee, then you will definitely need a longer one than 20 inches.

I will be placing mine directly into the 1 inch TC top fitting. I picked up a spare 4 inch end cap and I plan on drilling a hole, putting a gasket in it and putting my airlock into that. The tee route seemed like a lot of cash and I will accomplish the same thing with the extra cap I paid 10 bucks for.

I ordered the standard 20 inch thermowell from them. I probably should have gone with a custom size though. Because of the angle it will sit it might be a bit short if I ever do any 5 gallon batches. If you are going to use a tee, then you will definitely need a longer one than 20 inches.

I will be placing mine directly into the 1 inch TC top fitting. I picked up a spare 4 inch end cap and I plan on drilling a hole, putting a gasket in it and putting my airlock into that. The tee route seemed like a lot of cash and I will accomplish the same thing with the extra cap I paid 10 bucks for.

I picked up Tees for $10 each on ebay. Of course there are extra clamps/gaskets/etc. required but it is a lot more flexible.

The chiller will be installed in my 4" port so that is unavailable to me.

If it was me I would just get a hose barb welded onto the 4" cap or a 1" TC ferrule (or swap the cap for a 4x1" reducer) and use a blowoff tube or spunding valve

I just ordered my tri-clover Brewhemoth and will be looking to buy fittings. I have thought about MoreBeer's http://morebeer.com/view_product/11074//Ultimate_Yeast_Harvester
to add at the end of the dump valve. But...I notice that most of the parts are very easy to get..but..I don't know what fitting would really be a pressure relief cap.. hmm any thoughts? Anyone seen or used one? Is it pointless? Really I even like the idea of seeing the yeasties doing their thing.

I don't really think a sight glass at the bottom of a conical is a proper yeast harvester, not that I'm an expert. And, none of the parts are a pressure relief cap, you'd have that at the top where the gas is anyways. I'd have a port for it on that 4" tri-clamp cap (if not a corny post).

If you look at the second video of that harvester, you see some beige and a lot of black bits and trub. I'd be surprised if they weren't missing the middle layer where you are supposed to harvest from all together and are getting mostly dead yeast and trub.

My harvester is a ganged keg and I harvest almost all of the cake (that's not stuck chunky stuff) and separate in a different glass container later. At least I KNOW I'm getting the good yeast too.

All went smoothly with the Stpats order.

The cam lock fitting shown will be used when filling from the boil kettle. I have a 21" stainless thermowell coming that will take its place during fermentation.

Wow. That's some view you've got! Anyhoo, just wanted to share my similar kit. I got the 'ULTRA sanitary butterfly valve' from St Pats because the body is held together (and disassembles) with just a tri-clamp, in stead of bolts. Since I'll be doing it every time.. Pretty convenient.

UltraSanitaryValve.jpg

good info in here... i missed dale today on the phone so im calling back in the morning to discuss a a few things i want to see if i can get customized and order a brewhemoth...ill then be hunting for TC pieces and parts :mug:

Just got around to using my yeast harvester for the first time... harvested about 350ml of thick yeast slurry of WLP001 - looks really good.

4281-yeastharvestersm.jpg

It'll be in the fridge for a week or so until I can brew again, so I may make a starter with it before I use it.

Just got around to using my yeast harvester for the first time... harvested about 350ml of thick yeast slurry of WLP001 - looks really good.

It'll be in the fridge for a week or so until I can brew again, so I may make a starter with it before I use it.

Looks great! Thinking of getting one. Did you attach it prior to pitching or later?

I dumped the trub twice, once on day one and again on day five then I attached the harvester and opened the valve. I left it open through the end of fermentation then slowly lowered the temp to make the yeast floc out and that was my end result.

ordered a bunch of tri-clover parts from St. pats today :ban:
i already got the email from UPS that it was leaving austin today :rockin:
...should be here by tuesday :D

gotta order my butterfly valves next week from GW Kent and ill be all set for when the brewhemoth arrives.

i could have gotten some butterfly valves from st. pats... but i like the stainless trigger ones that GW Kents has. they look so purdy :cross:

Well i guess St. Pats is good in my book. I already received my parts from St. Pats. The stainless work on these TriClover parts is near perfect. Some of the best stainless work i have seen on parts for piping. Ill be ordering from them again if i need other fittings unless i want something they don't carry.

ill be ordering my valves from GW Kent later today and Ill be ready to rock for when my Brewhemoth arrives

My St. Pats order just arrived too.

I went with a 4in TC to 2in TC flat reducer for attaching a spray ball for CIP.

The spray ball has a 2in TC attachment point to the top of the fermenter and a 1.5in TC attachment for the CIP hose connection.

The 4:2 reducer was off center. Probably no big deal but I expected it to be dead center. Welds look fine. A little burning on the reducer but I will scrub and hit with citric acid again anyway.

Spray ball was $130
Reducer was $30 +/-

To date, I've been very happy with St. Pats. Fast shipping. GW Kent is good too.

Next step: order the Brewhemuth with 1.5in CT outlet ports and figure out how to get a carbonation stone fitting added.

Brew on!

Yeah I'm thing that's the route I'm going to use to for the CIP system. I'm going to clean by hand the first few batches since all this stainless is exploding the brewery budget. :D

Just ordered my behemoth today. Added one extra tri clamp fitting just above the cone for a carbonation stone. Josh was very helpful!

Two weeks ago my St. Pats order arrived. I purchased a flat 4in TC that reduces to a 2in TC. That matches up with the 2in TC spray ball. Next up is a pump to drive the ball.

Pics to follow.

I've ordered a lot of product from St. pats. All good and fast shipping.

Shark

Just ordered my behemoth today. Added one extra tri clamp fitting just above the cone for a carbonation stone. Josh was very helpful!

Two weeks ago my St. Pats order arrived. I purchased a flat 4in TC that reduces to a 2in TC. That matches up with the 2in TC spray ball. Next up is a pump to drive the ball.

Pics to follow.

I've ordered a lot of product from St. pats. All good and fast shipping.

Shark

I'll second the quality of St. Pats fittings vs competition. Anything made for the wine industry is going to be perfect. Just think- one contaminated batch of beer... meh, a few hundred bucks flushed. One contaminated batch of Napa Cab and you might have to shut down the winery for ruining the whole vintage.

I will say that I did have a problem with customer service (her) but it was resolved by finding new sources of personal humility to ask for help a second time. My issue was resolved, but I was a little aghast at the "yikes!" factor. After that, they fixed my problem to my satisfaction (new butterfly valve).

Funny. I've heard lots of customer service related issues but never product or delivery. So far, so good for me. I just got another catalog from them.

They have a transfer pump I've got my eyes on. I think it's like 400 but would make moving beer a snap.....fast.

Great photos. You'd have a nice backyard view if those mountains weren't in the way. :)

Q./ Have you mounted the legs on a rolling platform?

I think I'll need some longer brewery hose for transferring in the fermented. Moving the beast when full will not be an option.

Brew on!

Shark

Got my other stuff from GW Kent... stuff is puuuurrrdy nice as well. especially the trigger butterfly valve :cross: i still need to order some new hose for the dump and rack valve and possibly some other stuff don't really need :ban:

Napa cab isn't ruined by slightly imperfect welds. I've been to several wineries in the region that open primary with massive swarms of bees/wasps landing in the must. Any case, doesn't Stpats have stainless triggered butterfly valves? And to the stpats sprayball posts, I have one (discontinued/not on the site anymore) that wouldn't spin with a 1/2hp sump pump. Got a mcmaster pp sprayball as suggested by another member here, and it spits the snake piss out of the walls now. Really wanted stainless one, but I think I just needed a beefier commercial pump. Seems like fantastic, smooth bb construction - just couldn't make it spin.

4281-yeastharvestersm.jpg

Can someone provide the source for this? Can't seem to locate one.. Thanks much

Back