Conditioning and storage in the tropics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David_Bond

Reaction score
Hi All -
This is my first ever post to a brewing forum. I am the extremely proud parent of my second batch a home brew - I very fine porter we're calling Young Toby which (at just 14 days old) is showing itself to be a rich, fruity, spicy, licorice-finished beauty.
Here's my issue.
I live in Manila, Filipines where the ambient temp rarely drops below the mid-70's and, most of the time, is up around 85.

This batch - like the first - seems to be turning out fine and may well be drunk before any of this becomes and issue, but--

In your experience, within what temperature range are ales best kept/conditioned?

Thanks for all your help and if you're in Manila, drop me a line and we'll share a Young Toby.

David

Unfortunately, ales age best around 55F. So, you'll have to make ales that don't need much aging. If you have access to a basement for store, it would help.

Thanks for the very useful info

I think I that I can find a beverage fridge that might be able to be set at that sort of temp.

The brew is not lasting very long so, like I said, conditioning may not really be an issue.

I don't feel too spoilt for choice for really good, tastey and delicious beer here in SE Asia.

How long have you been brewing?

Wots your fave homebrew recipe?

Thanks again for taking the time to help a newbie

Out where I am we place the carboy in a waterbath (I keep mine on the Lanai). Simply find a cooler or a container large enough and fill with water up to the same level as the brew line in the carboy. If you fill the container any higher the carboy will float. You want to use as much water as possible since it slows the temperature change down (a swimming pool would be ideal). Once or twice a day throw ice packs in the water. It should keep temp relatively stable, shooting for between 65 and 75 F. If the carboy is clear you should cover it with something since the sunlight is bad for beer taste.

Mabuhay!

Latest posts

Back