Empty Barrel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajoha2003

Reaction score
Hi Guy,

I have empty barrel, I have to option exchange it for Sixth Barrel in a local store or sell it. But I don't know if it worth selling. Can i use a sixth barrel for force carbonation?

Not sure what you mean. Do you have stainless kegs or an actual wood barrel? If it's stainless you can carbonate in it. However a 31 gallon keg is HUGE to exchange for something 1/6th in size.

I have a 50 Litter stainless European style keg Barrel, I don’t have the space to keep it. Was thing to exchange it for a 1/6 keg and use that for force carbonation etc. But I am not sure how can i use it for force carbonation.

Full keg of beer + CO2 pressure = delicious carbonated beer

Do you have the connections for the 1/6th barrel keg? I just use ball lock, but the only difference is connections.

Yes, But the question is when you force carbonate a ball lock you put the c02 on the side that normally beer goes out. (that what i have seen done) How you do that with this type of a connector? Your joust connected set the PSI for 30 and wait a week or two and see what happens?

You've got the details a little bit off, but the basic principle right.

On a ball or pin lock cornie keg, there are two posts - a gas and a liquid. So you'd connect the gas to the gas (in) post and the liquid to the liquid (out) post and you're all set. Pressures are a different matter - if you're gonna set to 30psi, you're going to do so for no more than 24 hours, then drop down to serving pressure (11 or 12psi). If you're going to just wait a week or two, 11 or 12psi for the duration is the right neighborhood.

In a sanke connector, there's a gas in connector and a liquid out on the sanke tap - you'd hook both those up, then hook that sanke tap up to your filled keg, and let it sit at that same pressure setting described above, and you're good to go.

Ya there's no reason you need to send gas down the diptube. You CAN, it carbonates faster, but introduces other problems with beer potentially getting pushed into the gas line. I rarely ever do it anymore.

o.k. So I should probable exchange me barrel for a 1/6 snake keg and use it for me homebrew. I know there many discussion about using a snake vs. a cornie. But from me calculation if would be cheaper for me I go it for free with the connectors and I can exchange for a small one now issues. No extra money to spend there. Any majo problem of using a snake for home brew except the cleaning part?

Thanks for your help.

Back