Belgian Wit fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blittle

Reaction score
I'm a newbie and brewed my second batch which is a belgian wit. Fermentation in the primary was quite vigerous for over a week and eventually slowed down to what what I thought was completion. I didn't see any visible signs (no bubble movement in the air lock). I unfortunately broke my hydrometer, so I couldn't take a measurement. So, I racked to the secondary. The day after, I noticed what looks like fermentation bubbles on surface of the beer. Just small bubbles grouped in about a quarter size in diameter, maybe 10 of these on the surface. Sorry, trying to give you a visual so thats my best discription. There was may a bubble or 2 in the airlock, so it appeared as thought the beer was fermenting again. This only lasted about 1-2 days, and now it's stopped. Should I just let it sit for another week before kegging, or did I screw up? I'll try to get to my LHB store to get a new hydometer tonight. I'm guessing that if the SG is close to target I'll still be okay.

Wits finish quick, generally speaking. What you saw in secondary was likely CO2 being released from the disturbance of racking. I would let it sit (because it really can't hurt) that extra week before kegging anyway, though.

Buy a new hydrometer and test to make sure it's done fermenting. Bubbles in the airlock can also mean escaping CO2, not necessarily fermentation. Adversely, no bubbles in the airlock doesn't always mean fermentation has stopped.

Back