Where to go from here? (Limited equipment)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

North

Reaction score
Hello all,

Yes, I am a noob and have questions about my first batch - go figure. This forum has been really helpful over the past several weeks getting ready for my first try and still now that it is bubbling away - but I am left with some specific questions.

(It would be helpful to note that I am currently in China where there is no homebrew equipment and almost no chance of getting any sent to me in the foreseeable future.)

I pressed fresh local apples on October 31st and then put them into a used but sanitized 5 gallon water bottle with an airlock. I added camden tablets, waited 24 hours and added champagne yeast (previously bought in the US with the airlock). Room temperatures are cool here and I can only keep it at about 8-10 degrees C, at best. On November 5th it started to bubble slowly but has been going faster and faster. Now it bubbles once a second, give or take, and shows no sign of slowing down. I tasted it today for the first time (the airlock is ill-fitting so I had to use candle wax to seal it) and was surprised by the taste – slightly alcoholic, not sweet, not really apple tasting, and a bit yeasty. I have no idea of the OG, but they were sweet apples to begin with.

My question is ‘Where to from here?’. Go to a second fermentation? Keep it where it is? Do I even need the second fermentation? If I cold crash it now, I don’t know where I am at in the fermentation and am not really happy with the taste….

For eventual aging I have three glass containers that would probably not hold carbonation pressure, a 5 gallon water bottle, or soda bottles. I know none of them are optimal. Advice?

I know this is a little messed up, but I would really appreciate advice.

Others may have better advice, but given what you have, I'd wait till the airlock activity stops, then rack to a clean 5 gallon water bottle and install the airlock on that to let it age. Eventually bottle in the soda bottles. Actually since you don't have a hydrometer the soda bottles are a good way to go, since if you end up with some residual fermentation/carbonation they can handle the pressure.

jcobbs -

Thanks for the response. What I wonder/worry about using the plastic is any off taste as a result of using plastic rather than glass.... but, then again, not many options.

The next time I go to the US I am going to pick up some things to bring back to take out some of the guesswork.

Back