Tropical Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fendermallot

Reaction score
So, last week I decided that the primary ferment of my cider was just about done. I decided I was going to add some Sour Cherry juice to the batch without racking. Oops, Not enough room in the bottle!

I racked about 2/3 of a gallon off into a 1gallon jug. Hmm, too much headroom and I don't have any apple juice left to add to it. I had a bottle of organic Pineapple Coconut juice though... So I tossed that in to see what would happen.

I looked at it today and there is some funky stuff going on in there. The top layer looks weird. Would this have something to do with the coconut milk? I'm not worried if I have to pitch it. It's all bubbly and slimy looking. SWMBO said there was no way I could make her try it! HAHA

It didn't happen without pictures! J/K.. If there were oils in the milk, that is likely your source of separation. I would probably siphon that off quickly, to avoid strange effects. But that is not based on any past experience. I am curious on how this turns out. Keep us posted!

So, I never filtered the liquid off the solids. I just let it sit in there. It looked very similar to "Stifler's Pale Ale" from American Pie *eww*

I siphoned the liquid off, leaving as much of the solids behind as I could. Below is the results. It tasted AWESOME! It had a nice pineappley taste. A hint of vanilla (even though there was none in it) and it had a nice coconut note at the end.

Now, I've bottled it still but the wife wants me to add some sugar to carb it a little bit. How much would you add to each bottle? The bottles don't actually say how big they are, I'm assuming they're around 750ml. each. Any help would be appreciated.

Photo0421.jpg

Back