How to correctly use regulator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david0161

Reaction score
I'm afraid I don't understand how to work my dual body regulator I just got and I'm afraid I'm going to blow through the co2 tank before I get it figured out so I figured I would just ask.

The kegconnection sheet I got said to make sure the regulator adjusting screws were turned fully counter clockwise before turning on the gas, ok cool did that. I'm assuming I need to do this every time I fill the tank? Once the gas was on I used the screw to up the PSI to 20, I then put the quick disconnect on the keg and then opened up the check valve, all seemed to be good until the needle started spazzing out back and forth making a rattling noise and kept rising until it hit 35 psi, I had purged the keg beforehand.

Are there any instructions someone might be able to give me?

1. Attach regulator to co2 tank
2. Adjust screws fully counter clockwise on regulator
3. Turn gas on at tank
4. Adjust screw to desired PSI
5. Connect gas disconnect to keg
6. Open check valve? Or does the check valve need to be open before adjusting the pressure?

Also, say the PSI was at 20 and I wanted to drop it to 10, I noticed that even with the qd not on the keg, I wasn't able to lower the pressure on the gauge without hitting the pressure relief on the regulator, is this normal? Sorry for all the newbie questions.

Just turn the screw back until it hits the desired psi and you should be fine.

See, that's what I was thinking, however when i turn the screw back to lower the pressure, it maybe only drops a few PSI based on the gauge, I can turn the screw all the way loose and the dial just sits there.

Do my steps work then on connecting the gas?

It won't drop immediately because you don't have a leak in your regulator.

If you want to lower your pressure, then I always close my check valve on the way to the kegs, leave the gas valve open, turn the screw a tiny bit (they're really sensitive), and then press that little lever beside the gauge. This thing will purge the gas out and let it be replenished at a lower pressure than it originally was from the tank. Give it a minute to stabilize and adjust as necessary.

Latest posts

Back