Cleaning a Pinlock Post

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arturo7

Reaction score
I have a pinlock 'beer out.' post that could use a thorough cleaning. How do you disassemble this thing?

Is it a Firestone or Cornelius keg?

I found while rebuilding mine that the Cornelius brand posts have poppets that tap right out when pushed from the top. Soak and scrub with a brush.

Firestone (and some other) brands have poppets that are permanently set in the post. To clean these I soaked in oxyclean and scrubbed with a stiff toothbrush to clean. Qtips worked well also, or the tip of a dip tube brush.

Hope this helps.

-- T.

If you haven't taken it off the keg, you either need to be very careful with with a wrench, or buy/make a specially modified socket. I found a guy on ebay selling them for like $8, so I bought a couple.

Otherwise, once off, mine pretty much fall apart. I give them a good rinse off till clean, and then a starsan spritz before putting them back together and onto the keg.

Back