Commercial Brew Purchase

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan!

Reaction score
I used to work in a fine wine/beer shop (that was named by All About Beer as one of the top 70 retailers in the country). The selection there is rivaled by very few. I've since left, but it appears that my name's still in the computer and certain employees still give me the employee discount when I check out. Hell yeah.

I rarely buy commercial beer anymore (outside of pubs, restaurants, etc.) so I thought it'd be cool to see what's new...

combers.jpg

I've never had the Dragon's Milk, the Flemish Red, or the Gouden Carolus (actually, the "regular" Cuvee Van de Kaiser is one of my favorites, but this is a special anniversary version that's a belgian strong blonde). It's been awhile since I've had the Schlenkerla, so that should be badass...and the Hanssen's Kreik is simply one of the most amazing beers on the planet...in my top 5. I can't wait...

I have heard many good things about the Dragon's Milk. Of course someone also told me that Mestophiles was the best Imperial Stout in the world :D

(Honestly it was good (a bit heavy maybe), but not affordable for regular drinking).

Ive had that Marzen before but i can for the life of me remember how it tasted. That same brand makes a smoked beer that i do remember though. It was alright.

The lesson for the store Evan! talks about is this:

Go to ATM, withdraw green, stinky, ca$h money according to your budget and not a penny over.

Proceed to store. Remove your verification of age of 21 (if you are like me and don't look a day over 18) and take only cash and ID into store.

Purchase to taste.

Walk out of store happy you didn't drop 2 Benjamins on the 'ole CC after you had just gone through Christmas with everyone.

The lesson for the store Evan! talks about is this:

Go to ATM, withdraw green, stinky, ca$h money according to your budget and not a penny over.

Proceed to store. Remove your verification of age of 21 (if you are like me and don't look a day over 18) and take only cash and ID into store.

Purchase to taste.

Walk out of store happy you didn't drop 2 Benjamins on the 'ole CC after you had just gone through Christmas with everyone.

Yah, no doubt...I really had to restrain myself.

So I had the Flemish "Sour". Bah. Not sour AT ALL! I was expecting Rodenbach...but there wasn't even a hint of sourness. Luckily, it was really excellent anyway, so I can't complain...a nice creaminess with some vanilla notes. But I still call false advertising. Gonna have to go back and snag a bottle of RGC.

I'm finishing up the Schlenkerla now. To davisii's comment, this IS a smoked beer. I don't think Schlenkerla (the original gangstaz of smoked beer) make anything that's NOT smoked. The UrBock is supremely smoky, the pilsner is lightly smoky, and the marzen is right in between. The first time I ever tired a Rauchbier, I had the urbock...and I dumped it. It was that nasty...at least to my young palate...it tasted like ashes. Just ashed. Whew! Then I eased myself into it with the pilsner, and was much better off. Now, this marzen is freakin' AWESOME! Surely an acquired taste, but it's one of those tastes that, once you DO acquire it, you'll be thanking yourself that you did. Damn, it's so delicious...plenty of smoke, with molassas and fruit character underneath, and a very clean profile altogether. If you haven't had it, I highly recommend it.

Ahh, I see. I thought a Rauchbier was a specific style and I couldn't understand why it then said "Marzen." I didn't know what I was drinking. I remember it being pretty good though.

If you want sour, open up that Kriek next :c )

Ahh, I see. I thought a Rauchbier was a specific style and I couldn't understand why it then said "Marzen." I didn't know what I was drinking. I remember it being pretty good though.

If you want sour, open up that Kriek next :c )

Oh, I know it...I've had more bottles of Hanssen's than I care to mention...:drunk:

I'm finishing up the Schlenkerla now. To davisii's comment, this IS a smoked beer. I don't think Schlenkerla (the original gangstaz of smoked beer) make anything that's NOT smoked. The UrBock is supremely smoky, the pilsner is lightly smoky, and the marzen is right in between. The first time I ever tired a Rauchbier, I had the urbock...and I dumped it. It was that nasty...at least to my young palate...it tasted like ashes. Just ashed. Whew! Then I eased myself into it with the pilsner, and was much better off. Now, this marzen is freakin' AWESOME! Surely an acquired taste, but it's one of those tastes that, once you DO acquire it, you'll be thanking yourself that you did. Damn, it's so delicious...plenty of smoke, with molassas and fruit character underneath, and a very clean profile altogether. If you haven't had it, I highly recommend it.

To me it's a love it or hate it beer, and since my latest beer is a smoked Porter, you know which side I'm on.

+1 for Schenkerla Marzen. Rauchbier rocks! I tried the Marzen for the first time a week ago or so and it was great! Tasted like a nice smoky BBQ. Definitly not something I could drink multiple of or regularly, but a delicious treat nonetheless!

Nice snag on all the rest, too!

+1 Nice haul!

I've got a Schenkerla Marzen sitting on top of my kegger that I brought back from LA. You've inspired me to crack it tonight.....

Holy Moly! That Schenkerla Marzen was freakin awesome! I was kinda scared of it at first bc I've never had a rauchbeir but man, it was tastey! The "smoked pork" like aftertaste was amazing....

Holy Moly! That Schenkerla Marzen was freakin awesome! I was kinda scared of it at first bc I've never had a rauchbeir but man, it was tastey! The "smoked pork" like aftertaste was amazing....

Man, I know...I'm working my way up the UrBock. I tried it as my first rauchbier, a long time ago, and had to dump it because it was so smoky and I wasn't expecting it. Now I'm curious how it'd taste, given how my palate has evolved over the course of 5 or 6 years.

This week i bought...

Three Floyds Blackheart IPA x 2
Rodenbach Grand Cru Flemish Sour
Wychwood Hongoblin English Dark
Avery Ellie's Brown Ale
Hoppin' Frog IPA

Back