Mini-Mash vs. Extract Kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdowns63

Reaction score
I have done two extract batches so far and was looking at buying my next kit from Austin HBS. What is the difference between mini-mash and extract. I've been able to figure out that it means more steeping, but do I need any extra equipment or immense skill to do it. I also don't have the ability to do a full boil yet, so can I do it with a partial boil? Thanks for your help. This probably does not matter since its a pretty general question, but it's the Newcastle clone kit that I was looking at.

I asked the same question a couple of weeks ago. It's 2 1/2 gallon boil no extra equipment. I hear the results are much better than extract alone. I'm going to do one from AHS my next brew.

A full boil is boiling the whole batch (usually 5 gallons) instead of a partial boil and topping off up to 5 gallons later.

Thanks Beerdad....
mdowns... I'm interested to hear how the Newcastle clone turns out. That is my favorite commercial beer and it might be my next brew...

I did a mini-mash + extract today. I think most people just steep their grains in a nylon bag or something. I wanted to try out my homemade mash tun that I made, so I mashed the grains as if it were an all grain recipe except on a smaller scale, and added the extract when I got to the boil.

7.7 # LME
2 #Vienna
2 #Munich
1 #Cara Aroma

Ended up with gravity of 1.068 at 5 gallons !

Looking forward to trying the beer, but most importantly I think I've got a good handle on the steps I need to take to do an all grain recipe now, and I've got confidence in my homemade mashing/sparging equipment.

I'm going to do another mini-mash + extract probably Saturday afternoon maybe monday morning.

I understand that mini-mash + extract in general tastes better than extract, I haven't made up my mind about that yet, but it is a lot more fun to cook that much is sure, and it seems like the closer you move in the all grain direction the more cost effective brewing is.

Back