Batch Sparge Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enhoffer-Knopfe

Reaction score
I would like to collect 14gal of wort. After mashing I have collected 7gal, am I correct in thinking that 7gal of sparge water will get me to 14gal total?

I would like to collect 14gal of wort. After mashing I have collected 7gal, am I correct in thinking that 7gal of sparge water will get me to 14gal total?

When you say collecting 14 gal or wort are you talking about pre boil or post boil? If pre boil, theoretically you would only need to add 7 gal because the grist is already reached it's saturation point and you have already filled the dead space in the mash tun.

When you say collecting 14 gal or wort are you talking about pre boil or post boil? If pre boil, theoretically you would only need to add 7 gal because the grist is already reached it's saturation point and you have already filled the dead space in the mash tun.

This. If your grain is still absorbing water after the mash, something has gone horribly wrong.

Back