Cheap 2 gallon glass fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r8rphan

Reaction score
When I do my first 'custom' 10G AG brew, I want to plan my malt bill to make 12-13 gallons..

The plan is to put 5 gallons in each of my carboys, and then take two gallons and 'experiment' with fruit (add when primary is done)....

But the 2 gallon carboys are 'pricey'... So I'm looking for a cheap alternative.. I thought about maybe getting a couple 1G bottles of gallo or whatever (or maybe even getting something like that for free from the recycling center)... but I'd rather have a single two gallon jug..

Anyone know of a product that doesn't cost much that comes in a two gallon (or better yet, three gallon) glass jug?

I'd suggest going either the 2 1-gallon jugs (which would allow you to do more experimental batches at once, and are easily come by in the store) or just get a 3-gallon carboy from a homebrew store. I have a 3-gallon and I love it. It's perfect for bulk aging of 4-gallon batches of mead and you could easily ferment your excess beer in it with no problems.

If you are dead set on a cheap 2-gallon method, you might consider going plastic. I think Midwest Supplies has a 2-gallon bucket for $5.

2 gal hdpe bucket and lid w/seal at lowes for $5-7. I use them to start fruit wines when I have to remove the fruit.

Shoot for two gallons that is right up the MrBeer aisle.
Many of us who learned and moved up to 5 gallon extract and eventually AG brews kept our little brown kegs.
All the LBK is is a fermenter.

At Whole Foods they sell water in a glass 2.5g carboy. It's a $20 deposit and $9 for the water. I'm sure your local health food store would have a similar deal.

Shoot for two gallons that is right up the MrBeer aisle.
Many of us who learned and moved up to 5 gallon extract and eventually AG brews kept our little brown kegs.
All the LBK is is a fermenter.

I've been AG for a while, but still use those for this exact purpose. I love making 7 or 12 gallon batches and playing with the extra two gallons...i have a coffee robust porter in a Mr. Beer keg right now.

Back