Made a new friend today.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ize

Reaction score
At least it seems that way.

I stopped in the small liquor store across the way on the way home this evening. They usually don't have the greatest selection, but I didn't feel like dealing with Kroger and their really lousy beer selection.

So I walk in and there's all kinds of activity in there. Unpacking, stocking, etc. Definitely not the norm. I head straight back to the cooler which is only 5 bays wide, and start browsing the import/micro stock. I see the usual stuff, but then I see a few things I know I'd never seen in there before. All of the sudden I hear "Can I help you?" from a guy I've never seen working there before. I said, "just browsing" he said "You like ales?" I said pretty much, and noted that they had some new stuff in. I asked when they started stocking a bigger selection of beers and he said about 3 months ago. :drunk: (Apparently it's been a while since I've been in) Needless to say I grabbed a sixer of Lost Coasts' "Winterbraun", and Wolavers "Oatmeal Stout" and head to check out. The guy then says The Lost Coast IPA is really good and he has some of their 8 Ball coming in. I told him I noticed the beer selection is a LOT better. He said he yanked about 8 rows of BMC out of the cooler and moved them to the back of the cooler and is stocking more variety in the front. Said he's got more coming in, and if there was anything specific I wanted, let him know and he'd order it. I must have had a look of disbelief on my face, because he then proceeds to give me a list from one of his distributors with pricing etc. on it, and says "If there's stuff you want to order let me know, I can get it"

The list is chock full of Imports, Micros, Sodas, all kinds of Liquors, you name it.

FWIW, 12 22's of Hop Rod will run about $35. :rockin:

I'm still kind of shocked, but happy I made a new friend today. And to me, it was the ULTIMATE in customer service. :ban:

Oh and Lost Coasts Winterbraun is mighty tasty when it warms up a bit. :D

Ize

I know what you mean. I went to a local grocery store. "Hyvee", they have the normal BMC and common imports. They have liquor store right across the street so I went over there... I was going to a party but had to drive afterwards so I was looking for some descent NA Beer.

I asked about it because I could find any. Mainy because the regular selection was really awesome. At least 6 different ciders. Tons of Micros.

I finally found the NA in the back cooler. They had at least 8 maybe 10 NA imports. Then the usuall american NA.

I picked up a 6er of Warsteiner and hit the road :rockin:

Right on. :rockin:

I was just so surprised because Decatur is basically a beer wasteland. We have really one good store that stocks a fairly decent supply, and this one is kind of a "branch" of that one, but they've never kept a good beer stock.

They may have just earned ALL of my business. Just because 1 guy took note of a customers interest and went with it. I gotta respect that.

Ize

The key is going to be - will there be enough business (are there enough Izzys out there) for them to get away with maintaining that kind of stock. There's a place in my hometown, maybe 15k or 20k people total, that has one of the best beer stocks I've seen; all kinds of stuff from around the country, all the Rogue and Stone you'd want, lots of imports, Belgians, lambics, tons of great stuff - so it can happen. But, it's pretty uncommon.

But hey - congrats on the new buddy. Think he's a homebrewer? ;)

When I saw the thread title I thought "There's no way he's talking about Pumbaa" and I was correct!

Cheese, he's not talking about THAT kind of buddy!

Cheesefood said:
More importantly, is he a top or a bottom?

HA! If he keeps bringing in the good brews there may be some love to go around. I'm sure SWMBO wouldn't mind. :drunk: :D

I dunno bird, there may be enuf of us out here. We're on the south edge of the city, across the lake and kind of an island to ourselves. (everyone who lives out here that is) We're kind of self sufficient without having to deal with the BS of living in the main part of the city itself. (One of the main reasons we bought out here 3 years ago) I was just impressed that someone is TRYING at least.

Izzy's huh? I dig that. :mug:

Ize

I've been lucky enough to find a place here in Jersey that literally stocks at least 300 different beers from around the world. The choices in Belgian beers alone is unlike anything I've ever seen. Walking into this store for me is akin to my 4 year old daughter walking into Disney World...oh the joy!

Ize, out of curiosity, what was the name and location of this place? I might have to stop in next time I make a run to Decatur.

z987k said:
Ize, out of curiosity, what was the name and location of this place? I might have to stop in next time I make a run to Decatur.

Famous Liquors in South Shores, Route 51 South, just after you cross over the lake. The guy is working on getting more stuff in as well, but he doesn't homebrew. (I wasn't surprised, like I said, I'm an island here apparently!) They do have a much larger location on 48 just north of Millikin University tho.

Ize

The guy continues to get a decent variety in.

He's a big fan of IPA's. He just got in some Alpha King, White Hawk, and others that escape me at the moment.

But he also got in some St. Rogue Red, the Dry-Hopped variety. (which according to Rogues' site is new for this year.) Has anyone had this yet? Beer Advocate reviews seem favorable. Mine is still chilling and I'm curious. I haven't had the previous version either.

Ize

Back