critique this recipe please?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
I want to try a barleywine, even though I have never had one to my knowledge...I used beer calculus to put together a recipe and it his style fine but I know you guys will have some ideas to make it better. I am doing full boils on my stove top and lose approximately a gallon an hour to boil off. I can ( if I am right on top of it) boil 6.5 - 7 gallons without boiling over . Here is the plan.
FIVE GALLON BATCH
OG=1.105
FG=1.028
SRM= 19
IBU=71.4
ABV= 10.3%

14 lbs american 2 row pale malt
1 pound cara pils /dextrine
1 pound crystal 20
1 pound maple syrup ( added to boil)
4 oz black barley ( stout)
Mash grains with 1.25 quarts per pound at 152 degrees for 60 minutes.
batch sparge @ 170 degree for 10 minutes
second batch sparge @170 degrees for 10 minutes ( use amount to get 6.5 gallons preboil)

Start boil and add
1 oz of nugget hops at 60 minutes
1 oz northern brewer @ 45 minutes
.5 oz centenniel @ 20 minutes
.5 oz centenniel @ 5 minutes

Cool to pitching temp and pitch on a yeast cake from a centenniel blond.
Leave in primary until FG is constant then rack to secondary and let sit 1 month then bottle.

OK WHERE AM I MESSING UP?

Ease up on the specialty malts. A big beer like a barleywine is going to naturally finish a bit high so with two pounds of crystal in there it will make the FG even higher. I'd just add two more pounds of base malt instead maybe using Munich to get some additional flavor complexity. If you want it dark leave the roasted although if you do a long boil of 120 minutes the beer will develop a deep amber color all by itself. Add the maple syrup at the very end of the boil giving it just enough time to mingle and sterilize so as to retain as much flavor as possible.

I agree, I'd nix the crystal and carapils. And if you're looking to try a Barleywine, I can recommend Avery's Hog Heaven and SN Bigfoot Barleywine, get the oldest date you can!

I don't think you'll be able to taste 1lb of maple syrup in a beer this malty. Since maple syrup is so expensive, I think this is really just not worth the $$. But, if you don't mind the coin, ignore me. When choosing maple syrup, you want to pick the lowest grade darkest syrup you can find. Grade A syrup is way too delicate tasting for this application.

SOOOO.. go with ALL base malts. replace the specialty with 2 pounds of Munich and go with a 120 minute boil for color? I will boil off too much as I can only start with 6.5 gallons ( maybe a touch more) can I collect extra wort and slowly ( so as to not kill the boil) add it to the brew pot to keep the volume at 5 gallons? I don't mean top off with it but actually add it to the boil ? Also is the hops schedule ok? And the maple syrup, should I up the amount or just make sure I get really dark stuff? OH YEAH are we talking like mrs butterworths or should I go to my amish buddys store and get the real deal?

Yep, that's what I'm thinking as far as the grain bill goes. You won't taste the maple syrup, if you want the Alcohol boost add a pound of table sugar, in a beer this "thick" it won't make a difference to the taste. Don't add Mrs Butterworths, I'm sure it's got a lot of additives that could kill your yeast.

If you boil off too much in a 120 min boil, you could always just use top off water after the fact. Or if you want to "cheat" a bit, then you could replace some of your base malt with some dark DME to get your color. This way you don't have to sit around for 120 mins boiling.

As for the hop schedule, American Barleywine's can range from 50-120IBU's if I'm not mistaken, so you can pretty much do whatever you want!

Back