Venturing into Kegging!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimba009

Reaction score
I just bought a chest freezer!:D I am going to pick it up tomorrow!:D Working on some pricing with kegconnection.com as I type! Hopefully I will have everything up and running by next weekend. Man, i can't wait to say adios to bottling!

Gratz!
I would recomend you look into upgrading to the dual body regulator, and possibly even a manifold, depending on how many you want on tap at the same time. I didn't do a colar on my chest freezer, and am very happy with using the cobra taps (in the garage faucets would get pretty gunky on a hot TX day). I use the hump for my CO2 tank and about a dozen chilled pint glasses.

If you have any questions on your order from Kegconnection, just give them a phone call, they are very helpful. You may want to concider Midwest as well, they have some great stuff and service as well, and shipping from Midwest may be a bit cheaper for your location.

Thanks for the advice, I am going to go with the dual body for future expansion. I am leaning towards the two keg system with the 4 tanks they have on sale right now. Does anyone have any suggestions on keg quantity to have? I figured 6 would be a good starting number...

Minimum 2 to start. I like to have 1-2 more than my chest freezer can hold. The less empty space in your chest freezer, the more efficient it will be. If i have an empty spot, I throw a keg full of water in.

Side note... also order a set of replacement orings for each keg and some keglube.
I am not sure about KCs kegs, but most reconditioned kegs do not replace the orings, and usually a good idea to replace the post orings and diptube orings before first use. Even if you don't have to replace the orings, you want to have spares on hand for a quick replacement.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00942165000P?keyword=42165&sLevel=0
will work for most corny posts. Mine hangs on a peg over my Keezer.

One thing you never get enough of is kegs.

I now have eight 5 gallon kegs and a three gallon keg. I have another 3 gallon due to be delivered today and am looking for more 5 gallon kegs locally.

:mug:

Thanks for the advice, I am going to go with the dual body for future expansion. I am leaning towards the two keg system with the 4 tanks they have on sale right now. Does anyone have any suggestions on keg quantity to have? I figured 6 would be a good starting number...

Good call! I wish I had a dual body regulator at this point....

As far as number of kegs go....its kinda nice to have twice as many as you have places for, that way you can condition while waiting for one to float, and you can have beer fermenting, building yourself a nice pipeline..or the ability to throw a party!

Side note... also order a set of replacement orings for each keg and some keglube.
I am not sure about KCs kegs, but most reconditioned kegs do not replace the orings, and usually a good idea to replace the post orings and diptube orings before first use. Even if you don't have to replace the orings, you want to have spares on hand for a quick replacement.

In KC's current deal they said they were putting some in for each keg.... I would take advantage but I already have alot!

So I haven't heard back from kegconnection.com in about 4 days so I am going to go with Mid-west on this one. Man, I could have had my stuff by now.:(

So I haven't heard back from kegconnection.com in about 4 days so I am going to go with Mid-west on this one. Man, I could have had my stuff by now.:(

If you are going to order a kegging setup, here are some cheap extras to get as well...

KegLube (helps seal the keg, and increase oring life
extra ORings (Get an extra set for each keg, they are cheap)

Craftsman 11/16 x 7/8 in. Wrench, Ratcheting Box-End
Midwest sells a version of this, it's a few dollars more, but worth a few bucks to have it delivered to your door)

I believe Midwest also has a deal on extra kegs as well, if you order a new kegging kit. From my experience, you will likley want to replace the diptube orings before first use, they only replace them if they find a leak.

Sorry for the delay in getting in contact with you. I was out sick with flu and Ben's in California/Vegas enjoying summer right now. In the future, please let us know if there is anything we can do for you and even when I'm out, I can be reached directly at [email protected] or 512-468-5114. Enjoy your setup from Midwest, I know you'll be satisfied!

Arkador, i have a pretty good socket collection and ratchets. Would these be deep eoung for the posts or do i need an open wrench?

Arkador, i have a pretty good socket collection and ratchets. Would these be deep eoung for the posts or do i need an open wrench?

You should be fine with 12point deep well sockets. Short Well sockets will be too short.

I like the wrench, because it hangs over the keezer on a peg, and is only used on my kegs. I never have to dig through the toolkit for the right socket/wrench. you need 12point, because some posts are 12point, and some are 6 point. (I have 2 of 8 posts with 12point, and 7 of 8 posts are 7/8") I think i have heard of one other size, but have not seen one myself that my wrench will not fit.

Hecks ya! Got my first two kegs on gas, a Double IPA (the king of england doesn't boss me around) and a Wheat IPA! I ended up getting the wrench as to have a "beer only" one, also sacrificed a 14 mm open wrench for the gas connections. Can't wait to sample the first pint!:D

Back