Brewing with fruit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dzamba

Reaction score
Just for a little added flavor I cut up 3 peaches put half in the wort after the boil and "dry peached" the other half in the primary. I was just wondering how this will effect the SG.

It will take quite a while for the yeast to eat away at those peaches. Although the taste will be nice and mild in there you could basilly pull them out when you have enough peach flavor. It will be hard to tell how the gravity is effected because the sugar content of the peaches has not been spread out through out the wort.

3 cut up peaches in 5 gallons...you'll never notice it.

peach is a notoriously difficult flavor and aroma to extract...its just so delicate. every successful peach wine, beer or mead I've read about had two things in common: TONS of peaches, and they were hand picked, tree ripened peaches...not your typical grocery store variety. Farmers market, or personal orchard basically is the way to go.
and when I say 'tons' of peaches, I mean a minimum 3lbs of peaches per gallon of product....more for mead and wine.

all that info aside, normally you'd go through primary, then rack the beer to secondary, onto the fruit, give it a good couple weeks, then bottle, keg, or if its cloudy, do a short tertiary to help it clear.

Back